Chapter 53

Izzy's POV

Checking out of the hospital after two days was a relief, but having to run away upstate and wait out this shit storm was haunting me. It was already hard enough to hear my parents bailed on me, but now we had to go stay in Lorenzo's cabin a few hours away. Lorenzo wasn't sure if they knew where our apartment was or not, but he told us to stay with Brett for the night after packing a couple bags.

They told us to leave today, but I guess Mike and Ash called Calum and told him everything. He booked the next flight out here and was landing at 5, so while they picked him up from the airport Luke and I went with Brett to our apartment. Luke was even able to call the delivery guys who were going to bring our couches and have them come tonight. While I finished showering and packing up as much as I could, he and Brett helped them bring them inside. They even went back to Walmart and got my car so they could bring everything we got in.

It was the worst feeling in the world knowing that we were finally getting somewhere with this place and now had to leave for a few weeks. I ran downstairs right as they unwrapped the last piece, and it was finally starting to look like a home. Brett rushed us out as soon as he knew we had everything, and I reluctantly took one last look at the place. This was supposed to be a new chapter for us, and instead it's just going to sit here and wait for us while we ran away from murderous drug lords.

"I'm having it painted as soon as I can, and I'll see about getting new license plates. You might have to call for that yourself, but I'll see how far I can get." Brett said, helping us throw our bags into Luke's car.

"I can go online tonight and see if there's a link for that kind of request." I told him. He nodded and hopped into his own car as Luke and I went into his.

We drove the half hour to Brett's, following close behind his car. Luke was on edge the whole time, and he kept checking his rear view and looking over his shoulders. I knew he wasn't meaning to, but he was freaking me out more than anything. Ash texted the group chat right as we pulled up to tell us they were on their way with Calum, so I told them we were at Brett's whenever they got here.

Last night we decided that we were all going to go up to the cabin, and maybe treat it as a vacation rather than a prison. None of them had better things to do, so if Luke and I were going to isolate hours away, they figured they could join. It also helped me feel better knowing that Ash, Calum, and Mike were laying low with us, since they were all jumped with Luke in the first place.

I hadn't really eaten in three days, but when the three of us walked into the house Vanessa was sitting at the island with a cake in front of her and balloons in one hand. I laughed at the fact that she set up a little welcome home celebration, even if it was just her sitting there alone. I went and hugged her, and when I pulled back I saw the dining room table filled with food.

"You're too much." I giggled, leaning over to see that she even had the cake piped on to say 'Welcome home Izzy!'. "Thank you." I pulled her into another hug and turned to see Luke and Brett lugging all our bags upstairs for the night.

"Do you feel okay? You look like you're walking with a chip on your shoulder after drinking the Kool-Aid." She chuckled, and I rolled my eyes. I guess it did feel pretty bad ass to survive that kind of thing, but I wouldn't look at it as something to be proud of.

"Jim Jones is rolling in his grave." I smirked, and I got a laugh out of her for it. "I'm fine, though. I honestly don't remember any of it which probably helps."

"Damn, my next question was going to be what it felt like to have a seizure." She joked. I wasn't offended by how humorous she was making this. I was just glad someone wasn't walking on eggshells with me finally.