Chapter 52

Luke's POV

The sounds of voices made me whip my head up from where it was positioned on Izzy's hospital bed, but they weren't just any voices. I heard Izzy's voice. I looked up to see her smiling weakly down at me, and I didn't hesitate to jump up and pull her into my arms. Nothing seemed wrong, and she seemed like she had recovered pretty well from two seizures in one day.

"How're you feeling?" I asked, rubbing the back of her head as I kissed her forehead.

"I'm just tired." She croaked, her voice still shaky from how much she went through yesterday. I didn't even know how much she remembered, but the less the better.

"How much do you remember?" I pulled away and took her cheeks in my hands. She still had the oxygen tube under her nose, but her finally awake and relaxed was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen.

"Picking out a rug at Walmart." She looked so unsure about it, like she was questioning if even that was a real memory.

"We didn't tell her anything, we wanted to let you do that." Sophie said, motioning to her and the other three people in the room who I hadn't even thought about yet. Brett was sitting over by Ashton and Mike, and Sophie must have slept on the other side of Izzy's bed.

"I've been asking for a half hour." She tried to chuckle, but her throat was so raspy that she started coughing. Sophie reached over and grabbed the foam cup of water, holding it out for her to drink from the straw.

"We went back to the car and you drank the water bottle in the front seat. Someone spiked it with cyanide and you had a seizure, well, two seizures, but you're fine now you got through the night that's all that matters." I pulled her face back into my hands and watched as she processed everything. She looked around the room at all of us, probably trying to figure out how to respond to something like that.

"Who would poison me?" She asked, bringing her eyes back to mine as she gave me a hurt expression. The hardest part wasn't even brought up yet, and I was honestly scared of how she'd feel knowing it was meant for me.

"It was supposed to be for me." I told her, watching her turn from hurt to confused. "I'm so sorry baby, this is on me." I guided her head to lay on my shoulder as I rubbed her back.

"I thought you said those guys weren't going to come after you?" She asked timidly, but she still melted into me which let me relax a bit.

"I should have told Luke the second I knew they killed one of our other guys. That's my fault, you weren't looking out for it when you should have been." Brett said, approaching the bed and taking my previous seat. He put his hand on her knee, giving me a guilty look and then bringing his stare back to her.

"It's no one's fault just, please stop blaming yourselves." I heard her voice crack, so I held onto her tighter.

"I'm just happy you're awake again." I shushed her, and I looked around the room as I realized what I had just said.

"What do you mean again?" Izzy pulled away to look at me, and I saw Sophie put her head in her hands out of the corner of my eye.

"You woke up early this morning, but you had another seizure and they had to sedate you." I knew the cover was blown, but if I could somehow put the cat back in the bag I would like to. I did tell her mom she could talk to her at some point, so she would find out they were here eventually. I just didn't want it to be right after she woke up again.

"Wait, sedate me? Why would they sedate me for that?" She asked, and I was beginning to resent the fact that she was a pre-med. She looked around at all of us, waiting for some kind of explanation.