Chapter 8

Izzy's POV

I had profanities being flown at me now, instead of the bouncer. A still clearly battered Casey was screaming through the doorway at me as I stood there watching him. The fact that he attacked me last week was enough to scare the shit out of me, but seeing his face still bruised and a little swollen was another story.

I was one of the only people who knew how that happened, and the reason being Luke gave me chills. He told me that he left him barely conscious on the ground, but it was another thing to see it. I only scampered away when he shouted that he'd be waiting for us. I didn't know what to do, and I just kept speed walking through the sea of college kids until I reached the back door.

I approached the firepit to find Calum and Michael joined the group again, taking up two of the other empty seats. I must have walked up to them looking like a hot mess, because they all looked at me with concerned faces. Having all the eyes on me was only making it worse. Luke stood up and rushed the few steps over to me, placing his hands on my cheeks and making me look up at him.

"What happened?" He asked in a panic, searching my face for an explanation.

"Casey was-" Saying his name was all it took for Luke to drop his hold and storm passed me.

"Luke! Stop!" I shouted, pulling him back by his arm. "He didn't touch me, he was just at the door the guy didn't let him in." I told him, trying to get him to calm down and think about what he was doing.

"Then why do you look like you're about to pass out." He said, nearly through gritted teeth.

"He was yelling at me and told me he was waiting for us." I said, rushing out the words. "He got his ass thrown to the curb the second he started coming after me." I felt the relief flood his body and he immediately pulled me into his chest. I heard Sophie ask what happened to me from around the fire pit, once Luke and I stopped talking all their words were clear.

"He watches out for her." Ashton told her, trying to leave it at that.

"Did something happen at a party or something? Is that how she got that bruise?" Luke felt me tense up, only making him hold me tighter.

"Leave it alone." He shouted over to the firepit. I pulled away from him, noticing everyone's faces were guilty. When everyone went silent I felt my blood boil. This tip toeing bullshit needed to end, I just couldn't take it anymore.

"I got attacked last week at a house party! It doesn't have to be a secret, and it doesn't have to mean you speak for me! I'm not fragile, I don't need the hovering, and I don't have to wear your fucking shirt so guys stay away from me!" I practically screamed, watching as all the eyebrows raised. The last part of the outburst was clearly directed at Luke, and when I motioned to him as I said 'your fucking shirt', his eyebrows furrowed in hurt.

"I'm going back to my room. Apparently, it's too difficult for me to have an easy fucking night." I said, bringing my volume down just so they could all hear me. I started walking back to the house, only to have Luke grab me by the arm, giving me a stern look. I pushed him off, trying to keep walking away.

"I'm trying to protect you, Izzy!" He shouted as I turned around.

"Branding me is not protecting me!" I shouted right back, taking my flannel off in the process. His featured softened when he realized what I was doing.

"Izzy." He said, his tone a lot less harsh, but still urgent. I took the shirt off and threw it at him, quickly grabbing my flannel off the ground and putting my arms in the sleeves. "Izzy!" He said louder, throwing the shirt down and grabbing me by my shoulders.