Suicide Forest [36]

||

We were walking side by side through the thick forest, the light from the sun above rapidly fading.

"We're lost aren't we?" Dabi inquired for the umpteenth time causing irk marks to protrude from my head in annoyance. "For the last time, we're not lost!" I hiss, flipping the map sideways to get a better look at it.

"Then why aren't we there yet?"

"Because we are there! We just have to find the entrance! Asuna said the facility was underground, the hatch should be around here somewhere!"

Suddenly a blood curling scream made us halt in our steps, the natural reaction would be to run, the but the forest floor is a maze or roots and slippery rocks that could cause us to slip and crack our skulls open.

"What was that?" I utteeed uneasily.

"Didn't you hear it, it was obviously a scream." Dabi retorted sarcastically causing me to cast the older male a glare. "I know that, idiot! I meant what do you think it could've happened?"

"Well given that we're in suicide forest, I'm assuming someone committed suicide."

"Dabi so help me." I growled but the male walked past me, moving toward the sound.

"Oi, what are you doing!? Usually when someone hears a loud creepy sound, you're not supposed to investigate it!" I hissed, rushing after the male, making sure to carve markers into trees so we don't get to lost. "Well what if it's someone who actually needs my help?"

"Oh please, like you care about anyone else except yourself." I rolled my eyes, trailing after him.

The source of the scream remained a mystery until we came across a clearing where we saw a pile of clothes. In a small hollow, just below a tree, and curled up like a baby on a thick bed of dead leaves, lies a man, his thinning gray hair matted across his balding cranium. His attire led me to believe he was some sort of business man.

Under his bent legs a pair of slacks, a white shirt and a jacket have been spread out as a cushion at his final resting place. Scattered around are innumerable documents, a briefcase and other remnants of a former life. Nearer to him are items more closely related to his demise: empty packets of prescription pills, beer cans, and bottles of liquor.

"Well what's suicide forest without the suicide am I right?" Dabi commented dryly causing me to shoot him a look of disdain. "There's a dead man in front of us and you're making jokes, have you no sympathy."

"Quite the opposite actually." Dabi retorted causing me to cast him a curious look but his eyes were staring blankly into space as if he were going down memory lane.

"I wonder what drove him to do it." I mumbled.

"There are probably a number of reasons as to why he did it." Dabi paused, tilting his head up to look at the blazing sun above. "You'd he surprised by how little it takes to find the courage to end your own life."

"You sound as if you're speaking from experience."

Dabi didn't answer, choosing to stare silently at the dead guy for a few moments. I stared at the side of his face for a few moments before sighing and turning to walk back to the trail. "We should set up camp. The sun is gonna set soon and the last thing we want is to be exploring this place in the dark. We'll find our bearings in the morning, let's go." I demanded.

"Yeah, yeah; seriously who died and made you boss. " The male grumbled trailing behind me as I searched for an adequate camping spot. "By all means you can fuck off and I find this chick myself."