23

I quickly dial the number on the paper and my brother picks up after a few rings.

"Hey Katie what's up?" Julian says.

"I need you to come pick me up." I cry.

"What happened are you ok?" He asks.

"Please just come get me Jules." I beg him.

I give him the address and I pack a bag.

I go downstairs and luckily I don't see Slater. After a little while the door bell rings. I quickly open it and follow my brother to a black Tesla. I throw my bag into the back seat and I climb in the front seat. He starts to back out and the front door opens and Slater runs out.

He yells my name but I tell Julian to keep driving and he listens.

"Sorry it took me a little bit I had to convinced the Miller's to let me take a car." He tells me.

"It's ok." I say quietly.

"Tell me what happened Kate." He softly demands.

"He.. hit me, and then blamed me." I whisper. He slams on the breaks and I fall foward but luckily my seatbelt locks before I slam into the dashboard.

"Julian!" I shout.

"He hit you?!" He shouts back.

"Yeah." I say a lot quieter.

"I'm going back there and beating the shit out of him." He tells me.

"No. Please. It won't help anything." I tell him.

He sighs and continues driving.

After a little bit we get to the house he's staying at. He rolls my suitcase in and we stop at the door.

A girl opens the door and lets us in. He hugs her before they both turn to me.

"Kate this is Lauren, my girlfriend. And Lauren this is Kate my twin sister." Julian introduces us.

I wave and give her a small smile.

A woman comes into the room and smiles warmly.

"You must be Katelyn. I'm Ms. Miller but you can call me Joan." She says kindly.

"Thank you. And Kate's fine." I tell her.

"I'll show you to a room." Lauren says and I follow her upstairs.

We go into a room and it pretty plain, but it's big. Not as big as the room at slaters house but it's close.

"Thank you." I tell her and she nods. Julian sets my bag by the bed and hugs me.

"Are you ok sis?" He asks quietly.

"I'm alright. I'm going to take a nap though I'm tired." I tell him and he nods.

Him and Lauren leave the room and I lock the door before laying on the bed and letting my tears flow down my cheeks.

~

I wake up and roll over but I don't see my alarm. I sit up and realize I'm not in the same room I've stayed in for the past 2 months.

I get up and walk into the bathroom and I splash water on my face. I look up and see a clock on the wall and it reads 7pm. I slept for almost 4 hours.

I quietly leave my bedroom and go downstairs. I hear people talking so I follow that sound. I go into the kitchen and see Julian and Lauren sitting at the island and they're eating bowls of something.

"Oh hey Kate." Lauren says noticing me first.

"How are you doing Katie?" Julian asks.

"I'd be better if you'd stop calling me Katie." I say giving him a smile before sitting on a barstool next to him.

"I never understood why you hated that nickname." He shrugs.

"Kate. Katelyn. Just not Katie." I tell him.

He rolls his eyes and gets up. He grabs a bowl from the microwave and puts it in front of me.

I look in it and see Mac and cheese. My stomach growls so I quickly thank him and start eating.

The room is quiet until Mrs. Miller walks in.

"Why are you still up Joan?" Julian asks.

"Oh I was going to go to sleep but my phone is blowing up, it's Slater."

Everyone looks at me.

"Oh I'm sorry. Let me talk to him." I offer.

She nods and hands me the phone. I see 17 miss calls in the last 10 minutes.

I click the number and it rings. I walk into the living room so I can be alone.

He picks up after 2 rings.

"Mrs. Miller. I just want to talk to her please,"

"Slater." I cut him off.

"Princess?" He asks.

"You know, you called me Katelyn earlier." I tell him.

"I was upset. But I really had no reason to be. I stepped over the line and I'm sorry." He apologizes.

"I think I'm going to stay here for a few nights Slater."

"Princess, please don't shut me out. I'll make it up to you I promise." He says pleadingly.

"I just need a few days. I'll be back soon ok?"

"Ok." He says sadly.

"Now let Mrs. Miller go to sleep."

"Sleep well Princess" he says before hanging up.

I give Joan back her phone and she gives me a hug before going upstairs to bed.

"What'd he say?" Julian asks.

"He apologized." I tell him simply.

"And?" He asks wanting me to continue.

"And... I told him I needed a few days." I shrug.

"So you're going to go back?" Julian asks.

"Yeah. I will. I just.. we've been with each other pretty much all day everyday for the past 2 months. I think some space will be good." I try to explain.

"Well... if you wanted me and you could have a girls day tomorrow." Lauren offers.

"That sounds fun." I say going back to my Mac and cheese.

~

The next morning I get up around 11 am. I get dressed into some ripped jeans and baby pink crop top. Then I tie half my hair up and curl it. When I'm done I put on light makeup, as I usually do, and I go downstairs.

Joan makes breakfast for me and Lauren who comes down stairs a few minutes after me.

We eat the pancakes and bacon and when we finish we leave to head to the mall.