31

Another month later..

It feels like I've been pregnant forever but I know once I have the baby it'll feel like it went by so fast.

I'm sitting in slaters office with max as he talks to a colleague? Is that what their called in gangs. I don't really know.

"When's the last time you saw him?" The man asks me.

"4 months ago." I tell him.

"How far along are you?" He asks looking at my stomach which is much bigger now.

"Six months."

"And it's Slaters child?"

I nod.

"This is irrelevant." Max says sounding angry.

"Please calm down, everything I ask is relevant." He tells max.

"Don't tell me to fucking calm down! My brother has been missing for 4 months and I've been working my ass off trying to find him and it feels like no ones doing shit! I'm here taking care of his pregnant girlfriend when it should be him! This is his child! He should be here! So don't tell me to calm down." He takes a deep breath.

"I'm sorry." The man apologizes.
"Slater has enemies?" He asks.

"He's a gang leader. He has a lot of enemies." Max tells him.

"Does he have a worst one?" He asks.

Max freezes.

"That son of a bitch!" Max yells before storming out of the room.

The man follows him and I try to keep up.

We all go into Max's room. Max grabs his phones and dials a number.
"Yeah get me on the phone with Sanchez... I don't give a fuck. Now!" He shouts.

There's a pause and me and the man exchange a look and I shrug.

"Sanchez. Where the fuck is Hale?" Max asks.
"He has my brother doesn't he? You asshole answer the question! What do you mean Hale dropped off the map? 4 months ago? I fucking knew it. If you get any information you tell me, immediately! Yeah, bye." He hangs up and turns to us. He rubs his forehead in frustration.

"I know who has him but I don't know where." He says finally.

"We'll figure it out." The man tells Max.

"Thanks Carter." Max says.

Carter nods and says goodbye before leaving.

"Fuck!!" Max yells.

"Max." I say calmly.

"He should be here." Max turns to me and tears stream down his face.

"Max." I say again. I go over to him and wrap my arms around him. He leans his head on my shoulder and cries.

"He should be here... my brother should be here." He sobs.

"I know max well get him back." I tell him trying to convince myself as well.

-

2 and a half months later

I go to my doctors appointment with Lauren. My mom couldn't go this time because she was busy so I decided to take Lauren.

"The baby could honestly come at anytime now." The doctor tells me happily.

"I hope we find his daddy first." I tell her.

She frowns.

"So, if I may ask, where is the father?" She asks.

"He went missing the day I found out I was pregnant. I thought for a long time that he just left because he was scared of having a child but we found out a while ago that he was taken and we're trying to get him back." I explain to her.

"Well i hope he's back before the baby's born, he's missed a lot." She tells me.

"I know and I wish he could've been here but I have amazing family and friends." I say looking over at Lauren who smiles.

"I'm sure you do. You're going to be a great mom." She tells me.

I thank the doctor as we leave. We go out to Lauren's car and I get tired.

"I'm going to sleep wake me up when we're home." I tell her and she nods.

-

Back at home the cook makes me a turkey and cheese sandwich because I've been craving it for the past few days.

"Here you go." She says handing me a plate with the sand which.

"Thank you." I tell her and she nods going back to the kitchen.

"How's everything?" Max asks sitting next to me.

"The baby is healthy and doc said he could come out any day now." I tell him.

"Hold off little guy, we gotta get your dad back first." He says towards my stomach.

"I hope he's here the day he's born." I tell max.

"We're trying Kate." He tells me and I nod.

"I know." I whisper.

A guy comes into the dining room and turns towards max.

"Sir we... we found a body." The guy tried to whisper but fails.

"What do you mean?" Max asks him.

"It hasn't been identified yet but I thought you should let you know so you could come and... see." He says.

"I want to come." I blurt out.

"No Katelyn." Max says quickly.

"But I,"

The guys phone rings and he picks it up.
"Hello. Yes. Ok. I'll tell him. Yeah. Bye."

He turns towards us. "They think it's him." He says.

"No it's not him." I say as tears roll down my cheeks. "It can't be him."

Max pulls me into a hug. "I'm going to go you stay here Kate." He places his hands on my shoulders so I'm looking him in the eye.
"Everything is going to be ok." He tells me.

He texts Lauren so she can come over while he's gone.

A little while later Lauren gets here and I'm sitting on the couch.

"Hey Kate. Any word yet?" She asks.

"No.. not yet." I whisper.

Right after I say that my phone rings and I jump. I fumble with it in my hands then quickly answer it.

"Kate?" Max asks.

"Is it him Max?" I ask quickly.

"No.. it's not him. But I think we might know where he is." He tells me.

"Really?" I ask excitedly.

"Yes we're going to get this all sorted out with tonight. Then we'll head out tomorrow morning." He says.

"Oh my god." A tear rolls down my cheek and Lauren pulls me close.

"We're going to get him home Kate." He tells me.