27

2 months later

Life lately has been great. I finally got a new phone that I can actually keep so I can talk to my brother whenever I want. I also talk a lot with Lauren too. We've become really close friends.

Slater has been working on and off but he still makes time for me. He even took me on a date last month. We went to the beach and watched the sun set and then laid under the stars and talked for hours... well we did more than talk but we won't go into details.

We finally think Max has a girlfriend since I've seen him with the same girl on 4 different nights. He has yet to introduce her to anyone though.

Ms. green even said I might be able to see my parents again soon. We were talking about how me and Julian should permanently stay where we're living for a while and just visit our parents every few weeks.

I'm honestly ok with that. Me and Julian are about the age where we'd move out anyways. We're both in relationships. And we'd still get to visit our parents. I just don't think going back would be the best thing. It can't be the same as it was.

"I'm off to work." Slater says kissing my head.

"You say that like you have a normal day job." I tell him.

"I'll be back later princess." He says before leaving.

I lay on my back and continue to read the book I've been reading for the past week. It's about a girl who has to stay hidden because having more than one kid is forbidden and her twin brother was the first born so she has live life as a fugitive.

My phone rings and I roll over and pick it up.

"Hello?" I answer tucking my phone between my ear and my shoulder.

"Hey sis. What's up?" Julian asks.

"Nothing much Jules, Slaters working and I'm reading. You?" I ask back.

"Nothing much. Me and Lauren are just chilling at home today." He tells me.

"That's fu-," I pause and stand up quickly with my one hand covering my mouth.

"Katie? Kate?" Julian calls through the phone.

I rush into the bathroom dropping my phone onto the floor next to me.

I lean over the toilet and throw up the contents of my stomach.

"Kate!" Julian yells.

"What!" I yell back picking up my phone.

"What the hell happened?" He asks.

"I.. threw up. I just got nauseous all of a sudden. It's probably just a stomach bug." I tell him.

"Are you sure you're ok?" He asks.

"Yeah I'm fine Jules. I'm going to just go lay down though ok?"

"Yeah I'll talk to you later sis. Let me know if it gets any worse." He tells me.

"Ok Jules."

We say goodbye and hang up.

I flush the toilet and wash my face and go over to my bed laying down. I close my eyes and try to relax but I quickly open them.

"Oh my god." I say out loud.

I pick up my phone and dial Lauren's number.

"Hey Kate. Julian told me you weren't feeling good, you ok?" She asks.

"Lauren..." I trail off.

"What's wrong Kate?"

"I need to tell you something but you can't tell my brother." I tell her.

"Ok what is it ?" She asks.

"I think I'm pregnant."

The line goes silent and for a minute I think she hung up.

"Laur?"

"Really?" She asks sounding kind of excited.

"I don't remember the last time I had my period and I've been throwing up my breakfast almost every morning." I tell her.

"Oh my god! I'll umm... I'll get the test and bring it to you. Is Slater home?"

"No he's working."

"Ok I'll leave now and I'll be over shortly ok?"

"Ok."

We hang up and I pace the room.

Oh my god. What if I'm pregnant? Will Slater be mad? Will he kick me out? What about my parents? Will they be disappointed?

There's a knock on my door and I jump.

I walk over and open it. Max looks at me curiously.

"You ok?" He asks.

"Yeah... I'm fine... what's- what's up?" I ask.

"I'm going out for a bit and my moms out also so you're going to be home alone for a bit." He tells me.

"Oh. That's fine Lauren's coming over for a bit." I tell him and he nods.

"Alright, I'll see you later." He says leaving.

After Max is gone I go downstairs and pace the living room. The doorbell finally rings and I run over and open it. Lauren quickly comes in and we go upstairs to my room.

"Ok I got 3, 2 so we're sure and the third just because. Do you want me to come in with you?" She asks.

"No I'll come out so we can wait together." I tell her and she nods.

-

After about 15 minutes I go into the bathroom with Lauren. The tests are flipped over on the counter.

"Are you ready?" She asks.

"No." I tell her honestly.

"It's ok Kate, Take your time." She tells me.

"What if I am pregnant?" I ask her.

"Then you're going to have a baby." She says trying not to laugh.

I roll my eyes but I can't help but laugh.

"Do you think Slater will stay?" I ask her.

She looks at me with sad eyes.

"I don't know Kate. I don't know him that well but I really hope that if you are pregnant than he chooses to be responsible and stay." She tells me and I smile.

"Thank you Lauren. If you weren't here I don't know what I'd do." I tell her.

"Ok. You ready?" She asks.

I nod and turn looking at the three sticks on the counter.

I reach out and flip one over.

||

Double lines, pregnant.

I turn the second one over.

||

Double lines.

I flip the third one and it's the same as the first two.

"I'm pregnant." I say out loud.