Chapter 29 Gassed!

Yay! I'm on an updating spree!!!!!!!(-Steve) -Your Faithful Writers- Steve~Lewis-

***************************************************************

"Just RELAX!" I heard Piper yelling from the cockpit.

"What the heck?" I sat up with a start and watched as Piper's arm appeared from her seat. She seemed to be patting Chase on the back, but I couldn't fully see what was going on. 

"Chase, Chase wake up," Piper stated worriedly.

"What?" I heard him respond in a shaky voice.

"Fynn's not doing so good, I need you to drive." Chase was FULLY awake now and he and Piper carefully switched seats. Piper made her way back to where Fynn was struggling to breathe on his seat next to me. He was choking on something, maybe popcorn, and was clawing at his throat. 

All I could think at the moment though, was that Chase was flying this thing! "Are you KIDDING?!?!? Letting HIM DRIVE? He wants to KILL ME!!" I exclaimed, but Piper ignored me and sat down next to Fynn, stroking his back. 

"Breathe, deep breaths. In through the mouth, out through the nose. In. Out. In. Out," Piper gave him a shoulder massage. I shook the image of the old, crisp version of Piper from my dream out of my head. I had a feeling that dream would be haunting me for a while. 

"How's he doing back there?" asked Chase from the control panel.

"Better, I think," Piper said forcefully as she tightened her grip on Fynn's shoulders. She coughed once, but quickly recovered herself. Fynn's body spazzed.

"Piper," Chase coughed, "I ahhhhhh." His voice faltered and he began to cough and weeze.

"Yes!" Piper called.

"Ahhh..." Chase went silent. Within ten seconds, I saw Piper knee Fynn in the middle of his back, somehow causing him to fall limp on the bench. She hopped from her position behind Fynn and sprung to the clock pit.

"MARK!!!" Piper called.

"Yeah," I jumped up and followed her in. "Yes, Piper?" Just then Chase was thrown into my arms. He was limp and heavy. VERY heavy. 

"Is that too much for you to hold?" Piper asked without any sort of mock intended.

"No...I got it," I grunted and I dragged Chase to the back and layed him next to Fynn. 

"Now GET UP HERE!!!" Piper yelled from the front.

"Coming," I grabbed one handful of Fynn's popcorn and then, seeing him passed out, forced myself to choke it down.

"What's going on?" I asked as I slid in the gun shot seat.

"We've been gassed," Piper said seriously as she steered the helicopter. She didn't even look at me. It's a good thing too, because I couldn't help smiling. "What?"

"We've been gassed. Some one must have known we were leaving and snuck in some deadly nerve gasses. We'll be okay as long as we don't crash," Piper said. She glanced at me worriedly and, seeing my smug expression, she said: "MARK BRENNER! What the !%$# is wrong with you?!?!?!"

"Mark..." Piper was interrupted by a fit of coughing. "I didn't want to do this, but need you to drive." 

"What?"

"I need you to take the controls. I can't drive anymore. I am going to pass out soon. Somehow you are not affected by the gases. I don't know how that's possible, but it's true. So here you go, I guess you HAVE to take the controls ."

"Thanks," I said sarcastically. She could have said something like: "Nice knowing you," or "there's no one I'd rather die with than you," even "I guess this is it." But no. As I was learning how to drive a helicopter without an instructor, I remembered the para-shoots. The gentle men like thing to do, would be to offer Piper the shoot, but we only had one and I wasn't a gentlemen. So I decided that us all plunging to certain doom was better than all of us dying EXCEPT Piper and her being able to tell all her friends of how dumb I sounded screeching like a six year old as I fell from hundreds of feet above the city.

"Piper." I said as I wrestled the controls, trying to keeps us in the air.

"Y-yes...Ma-Mark..." Piper was fading fast.

"If we don't survive this...um..."

"Mark...spit i-i-it o-ut..." Piper's whole body had a spasm attack.

"Okay. What I meant to say is if we don't survive this you might as well know how I really feel about this whole thing. Or...how I really feel about....um...you..." I waited for Piper to laugh and tell me I should design cat posters or something but all I heard was the roar of the helicopter trying to stay in the air and the gentle snoring of Chase, Fynn, and Piper.

"Saved by the bell Brenner." I sighed.