𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟗

McKenna Prentiss | May 12, 2017

    If there's one thing I feel, it's complete and utter confusion, fear and anxiety. If there was any word that is defined by all those feelings, then I would like to know.

    I seated in front of Burt, the head of management, the guy who basically owns the management company, Clive is just the head of managing my family. But that's not why I'm feeling confused, scared and anxious. The reason is sitting right beside me, and also, what just came out of Burt's mouth.

    The room was tense, everybody was silent. In fear or confusion, I wouldn't know. I just know that I'm seated in front of him, my mouth gaping open to what he just said. I was way too scared to move, in fear that it might answer Burt's question. I turn to my mom, who just looks equally as confused as me. Burt was looking at me like he was expecting an answer at once, but I couldn't even wrap my head around what he said.

    "McKenna, as the person who is currently the face of the Prentiss'" good God, he's making it sound like we're a brand, "you both need to date."

    Once those words left his lips, I sat there frozen in shock. That brings us to where we are right now, in silence for about 15 minutes? But I feel like it's been hours. After seeing my mom's confused face, Clive's anxious face, my dad's pissed demeanor, I turn to my right, seeing him with the same shock and confused expression I'm sure I had, well, have.

    "How exactly does this benefit Harry?" I hear Jeff break the silence, and I'm glad it was him, cause I don't think management would appreciate it if my dad went on a rampage.

    You see, my dad has been pissed ever since we entered the office. In the car ride to management's office, the radio station we were listening to decided to play Carolina, just to my fucking demise. The second my dad heard my name, I bet all he could see was red. It's a miracle he didn't pounce on Harry the second he saw him.

    Harry looked uncomfortable under my dad's stare, so he diverted his attention to anything but my dad. I think he regrets saying my dad is his favorite actor now.

    "Well," Burt begins, leaning back on his office chair and placing his hands clasped together on his stomach, "the Prentiss' are the most well known family, you know, aside from the Kardashian-Jenners, and Kenna is an up and coming record artist, famous model as well. Kenna being with Harry publicly would make his tour sales go up, could add a few more fans, and they could even collaborate on some songs."

    I haven't been able to come up with anything to say, my mind only swirling around curse words I wanted to throw at Burt. We agreed that they control how the public sees us, clean up some damages that my parents and I have made, but never have they controlled this aspect of my life. Sure it's not like I'm really going to date him, but it's still my life. My parents don't even control who I date.

    "Now, McKenna, you needn't overthink about this." Becky, Burt's right hand in this management speaks, "You don't need to hang out all the time, plus think of it as a no strings attached kind of thing. All you have to do is go on public dates, take photos of each other and post them, do some pap walks, be each other's red carpet dates, those kinds of stuff."

    "I don't want Harry to do anything he's not comfortable with. He's dealt with enough people trying to control his life, and I promised I won't be that type of manager." Jeff speaks, but was immediately shut down by my dad.

    "Well, I'm sure Kenna wasn't comfortable when Harry wrote and released a song about her, and saying that she felt so good, for the whole goddamn world to hear now was she?" My dad fires at Jeff, which makes Harry cower in discomfort. I turn to him and place my hand on his forearm in a comforting way, he knew I was fine with it, I would've told him otherwise.