𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟐

McKenna Prentiss | December 26, 2017

    Do you ever feel like you're carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders? As if people depended on you for a myriad of things? They depended on you to not hurt them, to be kind, but be honest and truthful at the same time?

    But tell me why being honest can hurt a person? Tell me why speaking the truth can inflict a second, a minute, an hour, a day, a week, a month, or years of pain? There is no in-between is there? You either be truthful and hurt someone, or lie, and hurt yourself, and possibly them in the end.

    This is why I've remained seated in my car, outside Niall's apartment complex, wondering if I should get this over with, or just drive off and pretend I didn't sit in the car for 2 hours just to jinx myself? My God, am I a mess today?

    Let's just get this over with Kenna.

    I managed to make my way out of the car, and into his apartment complex, greeting Howard at the concierge as I made my way to the elevators.

    Niall's apartment complex wasn't a tall or huge building, it was quaint, and as far as I knew, only a handful of people were living here.

    As I make my way to his floor, my brain started to go haywire, rehearsing what I should say in order for me to not hurt him as much. Is that a thing?

    It wasn't long until I was standing outside his door, my hand raised to a fist, ready to knock. My knuckles were about to hit the door, when it suddenly flew open, and Niall was standing in front of me, shades over his eyes, but his mouth dropped open.

    "Kenna? What are you doing here?" He asked, shocked by my presence, leaning against his door with his shades on the tip of his nose.

    "Oh, I-uh, I just wanted to pop by." I shrugged, I looked up to see him with his brows raised.

    "Oh, what about?" I have no idea why he was acting so, cold. Does he know the reason why I was here? Is he trying to catch me in a lie?

    "Uh- nothing. Are you free? If not it's fine, I could come by another day. Or you could pop over? Or you know just tell me when I could come over. Do you have to go? Am I bothering you?" I rambled on, but what cut me off was his chuckle, his infectious laugh that had me looking back up at him with a shy smile, while my hands found the pockets of the hoodie I was wearing.

    "I was about to head to the market, to get some beer. Jamie's swingin' by round later, so that can wait. Please, come in." He opens the door a tad wider for me to enter, my eyes immediately finding the piano sat in the corner of his living room. Right next to it, was a huge grey couch, with his guitar leaned against it.

    "Do you want anything? Water? Juice? A shot of tequila?" He asks, a smile emerges from his lips as he mentions the tequila.

    "I'm good thanks. No need for round 2 of alcohol poisoning today." I joked, to which his head pops out of the kitchen, brows furrowed at me.

    "You got alcohol poisoning?" He asked

    "Well, almost. Kelsey made me drink way too much shots during my birthday." I laugh, to which he smiles at.

    "Have a seat, Ken! What's got you so nervous today." He motions for me to sit on his couch as he emerges from the kitchen, handing me a bottle of water, taking a sip of his Guinness beer.

    "I-uh- I, I actually wanted to talk to you about something." I played with the water bottle in my hand, my anxiety getting the better of me, fiddling with something to take my brain off of the impending pain I was about to inflict.