𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟓

a/n: surprise! double update! after the last chapter i can't leave you guys hanging! enjoy, i think? 😉
don't forget it's a double update! be sure to read chapter 24 first!

McKenna Prentiss | January 8, 2018

    "You sure you want to do this Mack?" My dad asks from the driver's seat, looking at me briefly before turning his gaze back on the road.

    "It's what's best, for me." I whisper the last part, finally coming to terms that I put myself first.

    The rest of the drive was quiet, the only sound coming from the radio that was quietly playing Fleetwood Mac's The Chain.

And if you don't love me now
You'll never love me again
I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain

    It was as if the universe was giving me signs that I was doing the right thing, although my heart, the only fibre in my whole being, was telling me something completely different.

    That night after the encounter at Harry's, I finally told my parents everything, from how I grew to like him, to how I fell so deeply that no one even caught me. They were shocked to say the least. I told them about my thoughts on the whole PR stunt, telling them how I want it to be over, and they agreed.

    Which is why I was with my parents, on the way to management's studio. My mom in the backseat, humming quietly to the song whilst my dad drummed his fingers on the steering wheel.

    I nervously sat on the passenger's seat, fiddling with my fingers in the hopes of distracting myself. When my mom called Clive to arrange this meeting, she never told him why. I wanted this meeting to be in between me, my parents and Burt, no one else.

    I know that Harry should be present, his name was signed under the contract too, but I couldn't bear to see him. I haven't even seen him since that day, and I plan to make it permanent.

    After driving from our home to downtown LA, we finally made it to management's building.

    It was a quiet Monday morning, paps nowhere to be seen which I was grateful for, no one needs to know what's going down today.

    We make our way through the front doors, and into the elevators, the elevator quietly playing jazz music. In the midst of my anxiety, I tend to focus on different things.

    We finally make it to the executive floor, our feet dragging us to the conference room, where Burt was waiting.

    "The Prentiss'! Delighted you're here, but why?" If there was one thing I liked about Burt, and I only like one thing, it was that he was very direct, and straight to the point.

    "I want out." I try to keep my head held high, not letting Burt, or anyone for that matter, break my confidence, I need that today.

    He scoffs, bringing his coffee mug to his lips as he takes a sip.

    "What do you mean you want out?"

    "I want out, of the PR stunt. My parents aren't painted in a negative light anymore, I'm working on my album, and Harry's on tour. I don't want to do this anymore." As confident as I sounded, I could feel a few tears escape my eyes, and I angrily wipe them away.

    "Aw, has little McKenna grown too close to her fake boyfriend?" Burt teases, chuckling lightly. My dad suddenly steps in front of me, eyes glaring at Burt.