𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟒

McKenna Prentiss | August 10, 2017

    "Cheers!" My mom says excitedly as she raises her champagne glass, along with everyone who was seated at the dining table, and we clinked our glasses in celebration.

    It's been a week since my parents were cleared from all charges, a week since Keith was imprisoned, and a week since my parents name are in the clear, hence the celebration.

    Joining in today's celebration were my parents' close friends, our lawyers who quickly became our friends as well, and a few, well two of mine, Kelsey and Harry.

    We were all seated in our backyard, my mom and I having arranged it to look beautiful and bright. It was a celebration of freedom, and of trust. My parents seemed so happy the second the judge read not guilty. They deserved this.

    I was seated in between Harry and Kelsey, with my mom seated in front of us, and my dad at the head of the table

    "Harry, why don't you call Camille and invite her over!" My mom suggests to Harry, who looked at her like she was offering him a car.

    "Oh, no Mrs. Prentiss, I don't want to intrude." He says politely, which earns a laugh from my mom. I should probably tell the wait staff to stop giving her champagne.

    "Harry, how many times do I have to say, please call me Atasha, and you're not intruding. It's a celebration, invite her over!" She exclaims, Harry nods and excuses himself from the table.

    Kelsey turns to me with wide eyes, and I sighed. She looks at me as if she was waiting for me to snap at my mom, but if she wants Camille over then she's free to do so. Plus it's Camille who's in a relationship with Harry, I'm just the beard.

    "Kenna!" Kelsey exclaims, slapping my shoulder and I look at her with my brows furrowed.

    "What was that for!"

    "Do you really want Camille here?" She whisper-yelled at me, and I sigh, shrugging my shoulders as Harry returns to the table, stating Camille will be over in a few, and thanking my mom for inviting her.

    "How are you feeling?" Harry nudges my shoulder, as I turn to him, his eyes sparkling under the fairy lights that were strung above us.

    "Pretty great actually." I say, smiling softly as I shrug, turning back to my dad who was telling a story about how he managed to "snag" my mom the first time they were on set together.

    My dad and Harry's relationship blossomed after he visited a few times, bringing my dad gifts to earn his trust and friendship. From an expensive bottle of 20 year old scotch, to paintings, Harry seemed to shower my dad with enough gifts to get on his good side.

    The doorbell rang, to which my mom exclaimed at, rushing to open the door, her tipsy self almost tripping over as she left the backyard. 'Well, I guess the she devil has arrived.' Kelsey muttered under her breath which earned a glare from me, it's a good thing I was the only one who heard it.