Chapter 1:

It had been her dream since she could remember. Owning a candy shop in the small town she grew up in, Beth Greene wanted to bring joy to not only the children of the town, but the adults too. Candy to her, brought everyone together. Everyone has a favorite, everyone enjoys it...all except her long time boyfriend, Gareth Bane.

Gareth Bane, a 26 year old who was not only self-centered but also hot tempered, had a grip on 24 year old Beth that frightened the citizens of Senonia, Georgia. Gareth, a tall, spiny man, was far from what Beth Greene deserved. Beth is a beautiful creature with a shy and humble disposition about her.

When they started dating four years ago, many people questioned Beth's sanity. It was that bad. Gareth was known around town as an egotistical bastard, who would step on anyone to get what he wanted. Why and how Beth fell for him, were questions everyone wanted answered. Even though Gareth is a brute, Beth always says she loves him.

In her candy shop, "My Sister's Old Candy Shoppe", Beth makes the candy fresh everyday. Her father, Hershel Greene, a wise church goer and hard working farmer, often told Beth growing up, that she could do anything she set her mind too- no matter how hard. He was the guiding light in making her dreams come true, but she also had help from her older sister Maggie and her big brother Shawn. They were the guidance she needed when creating the menu and certainly were the Guiana pigs to her success.

But as Beth starts to pick up more and more business, she finds that her success and triumph are often drowned and walked on by Gareth, who says candy selling is a waste of time.

Today however, Beth is ready to open the store as her long time friend and employee, Michone Anthony, starts putting the caramel clusters in the oven. Michone, a Zimbabwean-American, is Beth's zen master. She keeps Beth calm even at the highest peaks of stress. As the clusters go in, Beth goes out to set the shop sign up. Today's special-Greene Greene Nutty Machines and Gooey Almond Pops- the store's top selling candies for three years in a row. But what's special about today is, it's Friday and school gets out early, which means the children will be running through her shop all day.

"Michone, did we get those clusters in?"

"Yeah, just set 'em. Glenn's bring over more Buttercream milk I ordered and Tara is headed to the market for pretzels, spices, and another cake pan for the brownies...kinda broke one yesterday." She says with sorrowful eyes. Money is tight lately, but Beth understands accidents happen.

"It's cool...pretty sure I cracked it first. Haha, now, it's gonna be a fast day. So we need to keep the ovens hot and...wait, did you see Rosita?"

"Um.... I think she's with Glenn."

"Shit. I needed her to run and get new flowers for the displays. Oh well...they don't look too bad do they?"

"No...but like I said, if you buy the fake ones they look just as pretty and you never have to replace 'em."

"But then they don't smell like flowers."

"So, all you can smell in here is candy anyway...yer a candy shop, not a flourist." Michone laughs as the oven beeps and she runs to take the clusters out. The bell on the door rings as it opens and Sheriff Rick Grimes, Michone's Boyfriend, and a new officer Beth's never seen comes in. The new officer is tight lipped and strapping, his eyes at first wander around the shop, but soon stop on Beth in her fuzzy crop topped sweater that exposes her belly button and her tattered jeans.

"Morning Officers...what seems to be the trouble?" Beth says with a fake nervous tone so Michone in the kitchen starts to worry.

"Oh ya know, heard there was a disturbance." Rick said with a deep voice, unlike his own. He nudges the new officer to play along.