1.

'Keira!' I called, as I rattled my knuckles against her bedroom door

'Keira!' I called, as I rattled my knuckles against her bedroom door. 'You're going to be late!'

'I'm up!' She called back to me from the other side of the door and I shook my head and chuckled as I headed back through the apartment to the kitchen.

As I approached the small island in the centre of the room, I grabbed my coffee and took a quick final sip, careful not to spill any on my pristine white shirt. It was precisely four minutes until I had to leave the apartment for work and a wardrobe malfunction was the last thing I needed.

'See! I'm ready,' Keira said, as her bedroom door opened and she shuffled through the apartment to the kitchen. 'What can I eat?'

'There's one bagel left,' I told her. 'You can have it.'

'Thanks,' she said, giving me a grateful smile as she grabbed it and headed to the fridge.

Keira was my roommate. We lived together in a small but homely apartment in central London. She wasn't exactly someone I would call my best friend but she was a good friend.

When I had moved into London from my family home in Salisbury two years ago, the apartment I had been set to live in had suffered from a huge flood throughout the whole building, meaning I was stuck in the middle of London with all of my belongings and nowhere to live. I'd spotted the ad for a roommate online and upon meeting Keira and seeing how nice the apartment was, I took it in an instant. She was a very bubbly, over-excited and loud girl who was full of energy and always wore quirky and bright coloured outfits. She was also very sweet, loyal and a good listener. The only thing I could ever say was a negative about her was her choice of friends and taste in men.

'Are you nervous?' I asked her, referring to the job interview she was attending.

'No,' she said, with a snort of laughter and a twist of her face. 'Do I strike you as the type of person to get nervous for a job interview?'

'No, but you said yourself if you don't get this one you have nothing else and none of the others have gotten back to you,' I reminded her. 'I know it wasn't your fault you lost your job and I'm happy to cover us both in the meantime but please, make this one count.'

'Ava, I am a very professional and likeable person,' she said, with a sarcastic grin, as she took a bite from her bagel. 'The only reason those fuckers haven't gotten back to me is because they know I would take their jobs within a week of working at the company.'

'One of them was the owner of the store,' I said, with a small giggle.

'And I could probably do a better job of owning it than him!' she cried, as she ruffled her bleached blonde hair.

'Okay, please, please just...do your very best,' I pleaded. 'No pressure and I'm sure you'll be great but...I'm almost down on my savings and I can't cover us for much longer.'