30.

After a day of feeling sorry for myself, not moving from the sofa and having meals brought to me by Keira which I had to force down, I woke up the next morning with a small sense of motivation

After a day of feeling sorry for myself, not moving from the sofa and having meals brought to me by Keira which I had to force down, I woke up the next morning with a small sense of motivation. I grabbed onto the feeling with every ounce of me and forced myself out of bed early and straight to the bathroom to shower. I couldn't just lay around all day again burying my head in the sand, I had to start seeking some normality in my life again.

After showering, I got dressed and blow dried my hair before applying a very small amount of makeup. It was enough to make me feel a little better about myself and I smiled cheerfully at Keira as I headed to the kitchen, where she was eating a bowl of cereal still in her pyjamas with her hair sticking up everywhere.

'It's nice to see you looking cheery this morning,' Keira said, returning my smile.

'I just figured I had to do something to try and make myself feel better about being unemployed,' I joked, as much as it wasn't a joke at all. 'God, what do unemployed people do? I've never had a moment in my life where I've felt like I don't actually have any purpose in life.'

'Okay, way too melodramatic,' Keira chuckled. 'You could spend the day looking online for a new job.'

'Hmm, I suppose,' I hummed, as I placed a slice of bread into the toaster. 'I don't know what I want to do though.'

'Well, you have experience from a very reputable company in administration so I don't think you'll struggle to find another secretary position in the city,' Keira told me.

'Ugh...a secretary,' I grunted. 'Back to the same old shit again.'

'Ava, just because Caden, and Alicia, made you feel like being a secretary is a low grade job, doesn't mean you have to believe it is too,' Keira sighed. 'If you enjoy working in that field and you know you're good at it then fuck what they say. They just think they're so above everybody; they're totally perfect for each other in a very tragic way.'

I found myself frowning at her saying that they were perfect for each other. I didn't want them to be perfect for each other. They didn't deserve to find someone perfect for them. They deserved to be alone.

'I'll think about it,' I murmured, as I took my toast out and grabbed the butter from the fridge, spreading it onto the crusty surface before I took a bite. I instantly felt nauseous the second I began chewing and the cardboard taste was back in my mouth. Clearly, my anxiety has not fully settled and my appetite had not returned at all.

I threw the slice of toast onto a plate and placed it down in front of Keira before heading across the room towards the lounge.

'You need to eat, Ava,' Keira groaned. 'This isn't healthy.'

'I can't eat if I'm not hungry, feel sick and everything tastes like shit,' I replied, as I sat on the sofa and turned on the TV.

'So...another day lying around then, huh?' Keira called over. 'You thought you were fooling me with this bright and early start, a face full of makeup and freshly washed hair.'