15.

I was surprised to see that Caden had a new assistant sitting at the desk in front of his office

I was surprised to see that Caden had a new assistant sitting at the desk in front of his office. She was a tiny brunette with big brown eyes and tanned skin. She smiled with her bright, red lips revealing what was evidently veneers. I felt a hint of jealousy that Caden would see her all day every day of the working week, but I quickly pushed it away and returned the smile.

'Do you have an appointment?' she asked me.

'Oh...I was asked to come up to see C- umm, Mr. Clark,' I replied.

'What's your name?' she asked.

'Ava,' I told her, as she studied her laptop and smiled with a nod.

'Of course, Ava, just go in,' she said, before returning to writing in her notebook. I was curious as to what it said on her laptop about my reason for being here, but I thanked her and continued on through the wooden doors.

Once I stepped inside, I was greeted with a small smile from Caden as he looked up from his desk and leaned back in his chair. 'Come in, Ava.'

I nodded and closed the door, heading over to his desk where I took a seat in the opposite chair.

'How are you today?' he asked me, and I felt the need to roll my eyes at the formality of his tone but I remained composed.

'I'm well, thank you,' I replied. 'You?'

'Well, a bit fucking pissed off, I won't lie,' he responded, and my eyebrows raised at his reply. I was slightly stunned at his tone and use of language, but then I wondered if he now felt comfortable to talk to me this way after what had happened between us.

'I'm sorry you had to endure that,' I told him, honestly. 'That meeting was awfully uncomfortable.'

'Well, I apologise that you were made to feel uncomfortable,' he replied. 'I also apologise for the way Debra spoke to you.'

'Please, it's fine,' I said, waving my hand gently. 'It's not your place to apologise anyway. Thank you though...for what you said to her.'

'I would have said it if it were anyone, Ava,' he replied, making me feel slightly awkward and I dropped my eyes to my knees. 'No one has a right to speak down to another colleague; I don't give a fuck what their title is.'

'Yes, I totally agree,' I said, looking back up to him. I couldn't read the way he was looking at me but his expression was relaxed and comfortable. His eyes flickered side to side as he studied my face and I smiled politely.

'It's funny,' he murmured, as he slowly grinned.

'What is?' I asked.

'The difference,' he replied, leaning forward to rest his elbows on the desk as he studied me closer. 'The way you barked at me angrily in your bedroom, compared to the way you politely sit and speak respectfully to me right now.'