39.

When I returned to my desk, I ignored the stares from the department and rolled my eyes as I sat down

'So, what are you two planning on doing about your big secret coming out?' Kam asked me. 'Or would you prefer not to tell me that either?'

'Kam, I feel terrible for hiding it from you, I really do,' I sighed. 'I should have told you everything from the start. Anything you want to know now, I will tell you.'

'So what's going on?' he asked. 'Because this is out there now so there has to be some repercussions.'

'Yeah, his father has heard about it,' I told him.

'Oh,' he replied, finally turning away from his computer to look at me. 'What does that mean?'

'I don't know,' I murmured. 'But he wants a meeting with him this afternoon to discuss it.'

'Alicia really made sure that got around fast,' Kam mumbled.

'Well, as far as Victor is concerned, it's just a rumour; there is no factual evidence behind it,' I said. 'So, he's going to meet with Caden to ask him what's going on.'

'Do you think he will pull Caden from his position when he tells him?' Kam asked.

'Well...that's not going to happen,' I sighed.

'What do you mean?' Kam asked, with a frown.

'I promised I would tell you the truth so I will, but don't go ape shit on me,' I warned him.

'What have you guys done?' Kam murmured, worriedly.

'He's going to tell his father it's not true,' I sighed. 'He's going to tell him that they're just rumours.'

'Ava, Victor will get to the bottom of who started the rumours if he says that,' Kam told me, turning around fully to look at me seriously. 'Caden is a public figure and the press will get hold of that story. Victor will want to find out who started it.'

'I know,' I hummed.

'So it will go straight to Alicia,' Kam said. 'She'll do whatever she can to ruin you!'

'She'll tell Victor that I told her I'd slept with him because that's the truth,' I sighed. 'She'll send him my way.'

'Then you'll have to tell him that you did sleep together and Caden will be in more trouble for lying,' Kam stated, frowning in confusion. 'I don't understand the logic behind the plan to pretend it's just rumours.'

'I'll tell Victor I made it up,' I said. 'I'll say I was drunk or something.'

'Ava, no!' Kam barked. 'You're going to lie for him! Are you crazy?!'

'Stop it, Kam,' I replied, feeling overwhelmed by it all. 'It will be fine. I don't want him to lose his job!'

'Are you in love with him?' he asked, softly.