27.

'Thanks

'Thanks.' My voice was flat, probably coming across to him like I really didn't care what he had to say about my hair, but actually, I was mortified. The look on his face made me think that he knew exactly what had caused me to end up curling my hair and I despised myself in the moment for ever coming up with the stupid idea. 'Well, see you around!'

I dragged Keira out of the door and the fresh air hitting me was just what I needed. That could not have made me feel more claustrophobic.

'That was awkward,' Keira mumbled.

'Tell me about it,' I sighed. 'Let's just get home so I can wash my hair and get rid of this ridiculous look.'

'It's not ridiculous, Ava,' Keira told me.

'No, I just look ridiculous with it,' I rephrased. 'As if I thought I could pull it off.'

'Stop putting yourself down,' Keira scolded.

'I can't help it,' I groaned.

'Come on, let's spend the rest of the day doing nothing,' Keira said, pulling me quicker up the street.

I pulled my curly hair back into a ponytail when we got home and after sitting around doing nothing for a little while, I got changed and went to the gym. It was just what I needed to distract me.

As soon as I was home, I showered and finally the curls were gone. I made myself comfortable on the sofa again with Keira and afterwards, I ironed and laid out my clothing for work the next day, prepared myself lunch, set my alarm and retired to bed.

I stepped out of the lift onto the fourth floor the next morning, greeted by Kam standing up from his seat with raised arms. 'Happy 1st of December!'

'You too,' I replied, looking around at the tinsel and lights that decorated the reception area.

'Tis' the season to be jolly, Ava, so smile!' Kam demanded, and I bared my teeth in an exaggerated grin before dropping into my chair.

'So, no beating around the bush,' he continued, as he wheeled over to me. 'What the fuck happened?'

'Kam, I'm so sorry,' I sighed.

'No apologies; I had fun with Katie so it's totally fine,' Kam told me. 'But I want to know what the hell happened.'

'I don't even know how to explain,' I murmured, completely unsure of whether to open up or find another lie.

'Was it because of Caden?' Kam asked.

I turned to him with serious eyes and studied his expression. 'Why do you say that?'

'I told you he was staring at you,' Kam continued. 'You looked over and then he started eating Alicia's face and then you bolted.'

'Yeah, ummm...it's kind of complicated.' I had no idea where to go with it, but I could not admit the whole truth to him right now, so it was time to put my lying skills to the test and completely make something up. 'I was angry at Caden...that's why I left.'