49.

'A!' Kam jumped to his feet and ran around the desk to me, pulling me into a hug

'A!' Kam jumped to his feet and ran around the desk to me, pulling me into a hug. 'Oh god, A, how are you?'

'I'm fine, Kam,' I murmured, wiggling out of his hug. 'No need for the dramatics.'

'You sound upset,' Kam said, staring at me strangely as I walked to my seat and sat down.

'I said I'm fine,' I repeated, turning on my computer.

'A, it's okay if you're not,' Kam sighed, returning to his seat. 'You don't have to pretend.'

'I'm not pretending,' I groaned. 'I'm really okay! I just don't want to talk about it.'

'Okay, okay,' Kam mumbled. 'Well, I won't say another word. How about we talk about something else? The VC Christmas party! Have you got an outfit yet?'

'Ugh, I totally forgot about that,' I grumbled. 'I just bought a dress yesterday but...maybe it's not so appropriate for a work event.'

'Well, why don't we go out this weekend?' he suggested. 'You can wear it then!'

'That actually sounds like a great idea,' I replied, the sound of a wild night of drinking and dancing seducing me instantly. 'You make the arrangements and just give me a time and place.'

'Ooh, I'm excited!' Kam squealed. 'Wow, I'm glad to see you're not moping around and actually just ready to move on and get on with things. I love this Ava! I know I'll love her even more this weekend when I get the shots down her throat.'

I cackled loudly and nodded. 'Don't! I swear I'll drag you out to a bar right after work if you keep at it.'

'Hey, I wouldn't oppose to that either,' Kam laughed.

The lift pinged and a small group filed out, glancing at me subtly as they passed by.

'I see people still aren't over the drama from last week,' I said, giving them all a rude look.

'Not until the next rumour goes around and they have something else to talk about,' Kam chuckled. 'Pathetic, little people.'

Alicia stepped out of the lift last and strolled casually towards the doors, pausing as she passed by our desk.

'I was hoping to see you,' she said to me, and I raised my brows in surprise. 'I just want to say, I don't want anymore drama happening or anymore risks to my career so from now on, I'd appreciate it if we both just stayed away from each other.'

'Is that what you've been advised to come and say to her by the union?' Kam chortled, and she gave him an unimpressed look but didn't respond.

'Don't talk to me like I'm the reason you got suspended,' I told her, with a confident and stern tone. 'You spreading the rumours was an assumption because we all know it sounds like something you would do. Maybe don't build such a reputation as the department bitch and things like that wouldn't happen. I don't doubt that you still made an effort to tell some people; you're not totally innocent.'