22.

I'd finally taken it upon myself to call Kam to apologise for ditching him

I'd finally taken it upon myself to call Kam to apologise for ditching him. Luckily for me, he had been so drunk himself he barely even remembered most of the night and had apparently wandered off himself too. I was happy to know that he wasn't pissed at me and had still had a great night and now that that worry was squashed, my anxiety had settled even though I was still a little on edge waiting for my results.

I spent the last half of my Sunday tidying Keira's room as promised for losing the bet and retired to bed early for the working week beginning once again.

I turned into work the next day to find Kam in a cheerful mood and when he asked me where I'd actually ended up on Saturday night, I told him I couldn't remember but I woke up at home so must have just been really drunk.

I was working at my desk, answering calls, replying to emails and completing any task left for me by Joanne with my phone close by. I always made a conscious effort to keep my phone away at work, but I was waiting for my results and I couldn't bring myself to keep my phone out of sight. I wanted to know the answer straight away, praying that it was what I wanted to hear so that I could forget all about it.

'God, I have never had such an amazing sandwich,' Kam murmured, as he chewed his food and tapped at his keyboard. 'My mum has outdone herself again.'

'Ooh, what did she make for you today?' I asked him.

'It's some kind of spicy chicken,' he replied. 'But it's her homemade sauce that tastes fucking fantastic.'

'Chicken?' I laughed. 'I thought you weren't eating meat!'

'Oh yeah, I wasn't,' he giggled. 'But I had a meat feast pizza yesterday when I was hungover so that was my official resignation from being vegan.'

'That lasted long,' I chuckled.

'Hey, have you seen this?' Kam asked, as he leaned over the desk and pulled up a flyer. 'It's the VC annual ball coming up.'

'Oh, let me see.' I took the flyer from him and studied it. VC held an absolutely extravagant, over the top ball every year. It wasn't a ball like you would imagine with gowns and formal dances but it was a very exclusive event that people wore the most expensive and very best of garments too. It was basically just an excuse for Victor to show off how much money he had by throwing a lavish, fancy party to impress all of his big-time friends and the rest of the world. Clearly, Caden had decided to keep the tradition going.

Staff were never invited as it was usually just for the most rich and famous of people with celebrities and important associates of Victor Clark attending. Some of the company's directors would also be there too if they'd impressed Victor throughout the year. The flyer in my hand was designed with white feathers in the background of the information stating that the ball was in two weeks time.

'Obviously this year it's Caden organising it so there'll probably be a lot less old rich men and a lot more young, hot, famous people,' Kam told me. 'I wish we could be there; it's going to be an all-white theme.'