42.

With no sign of Keira again, I spent the evening alone in our apartment, distracting myself with things to do before it felt acceptable to go to bed

I felt better going into work the next morning knowing that Victor's little investigation was over, however, I now knew that Alicia had been suspended and I worried that her friends would try and come for me. I also knew that she'd slashed my tyres the day before in broad daylight, so god only knew what she had planned next. It had been annoying trying to hail a taxi in the busy early morning, and I'd been tempted to call Caden, but I persevered and got one eventually.

Kam and I were pretty much back to normal and I was beyond happy about it. As I sat at my desk, things seemed to be going smoothly apart from still receiving a few looks as people passed by my desk but I was getting used to it. I had no idea if people still believed Caden and I had slept together or if it had gotten out that I'd made it up yet, but I was trying not to think about it.

When lunch came around, Kam and I had burgers delivered to our desk from our favourite deli a few streets over and I was finally able to laugh with my best friend again.

'I think you should have ordered two burgers, A,' Kam told me, as he stuffed fries into his mouth.

'Two?' I laughed. 'I can barely even eat one, they're huge!'

'Yeah, but you've lost so much weight,' he replied.

'I have?' I questioned, glancing down at myself. 'I hadn't noticed.'

'It was probably the last thing on your mind,' he said, giving me a sympathetic smile. 'I'm assuming food was the last thing on your mind too.'

'Yeah, I haven't had much of an appetite with everything that's been going on,' I sighed.

'Well, I hope there isn't a single crumb left in that carton when you're finished eating,' he told me, sternly. 'I'll be checking!'

'Okay,' I chuckled, taking another bite out of my burger.

My desk phone rang and I squealed through my mouthful of food, trying to chew it up and swallow it quickly as Kam giggled.

'Good afternoon, Victor Clark, you're through to Ava.' I answered whilst still trying to clear my mouth and Kam clamped his hand to his mouth to mask his laughter as I jokingly scowled at him.

'Ummm...are you okay?' Caden asked, on the other end of the line. 'You sound weird.'

'Sorry, I'm eating,' I replied, feeling myself flush. 'What's up?'

'Can you come up here, please?' he asked, and as I opened my mouth to question it, he put the phone down.

'Dick,' I mumbled, replacing the receiver again.

'Caden?' Kam asked.

'Yeah,' I groaned, putting my burger into the carton and closing it. 'I'll be back.'