43.

'Why did you want to see me?' I asked, watching his face as he finished up applying a small bit of clear tape to hold the bandage

'I've just been a bit worried, I guess,' he murmured, straightening up and turning to me. 'With what happened to your car, I just thought I should check on you.'

'Well, as you could see I was perfectly fine,' I told him. 'So I don't understand why you insisted on staying and let Alex leave...that wasn't nice.'

'I don't really care about being nice to Alex to be honest,' he replied, shrugging nonchalantly. 'I don't see it working out between you two anyway.'

'Here we go again,' I sighed, rolling my eyes.

'I think all of this is just a pretence on your behalf,' he continued. 'You're trying to force yourself to go out with someone that you think is right for you.'

'I'm not forcing anything,' I laughed, in disbelief. 'I really like him.'

'No, you don't, Ava,' Caden murmured, with an irritated tone. 'I believed you did at first but I see right through it now. You haven't even slept with the guy. I mean, what guy finds out on a date with you that you've been having sex with your boss, and his boss too, and still continues to see you? Somebody desperate as fuck, I'd say.'

'Not everyone is like you, Caden,' I told him.

'You certainly seemed so,' he fired back.

'Totally different situations,' I replied. 'I have no intention of ever getting serious with you, so...like I said, it's totally different. It takes a mature and good-hearted man to be able to turn a blind eye to my sordid past and still give me a chance.'

'So you are hoping things turn serious with him?' Caden asked, laughing mockingly. 'A boring quality technician who can't even do his job right.'

'What the hell are you talking about?' I sighed.

'Are you forgetting how he fucked up and landed me in deep shit with the board and my father?' he asked me.

'No, I haven't forgotten about that,' I told him. 'Because it's a little hard to forget when somebody takes the blame for something somebody else did just because they're a good person!'

'What are you on about?' he asked, twisting his face at me.

'Alex didn't fuck up, somebody else did,' I said, suddenly feeling like I should not have revealed that information, but there was no going back now, and I couldn't let him stand and talk shit about Alex over something he didn't do. 'He was covering for the guy because he has a family to support, so he said he was the one that did it.'

Caden took in my words and I could see him thinking them over. I could tell by his face that he knew it was all true. 'Hmm...it makes sense. There were a few things what didn't add up.'