53.

Several days passed by without anything unusual happening to indicate that word had gotten out about what Caden's assistant had walked in on

Several days passed by without anything unusual happening to indicate that word had gotten out about what Caden's assistant had walked in on. I refrained from visiting Caden in his office as I knew it was a bad idea to go up there where I could possibly bump into his assistant and I didn't want to make it look like I was visiting him again for another office quickie. There was also the fact that he was clearly really pissed at me.

I realised that there was a strong possibility that Caden had said something to make her keep her mouth shut, after all, she was his assistant and he had the power to fire her if she started talking. Yes, that was probably what had happened, so I convinced myself that things would be fine.

'Thank the lord, it's Friday!' Kam yawned, as he stretched in his chair and turned to me. 'Do you have an outfit for the Christmas party?'

'No!' I replied, pouting at him. 'I've been online shopping all week but haven't seen anything I like!'

'Well, we can go shopping tomorrow if you want,' Kam offered. 'I already have my suit but I can help you find something nice.'

'Oh, that would be great!' I replied. 'Thanks, now I don't feel as stressed.'

'You, stressed?' Kam chuckled. 'I can't imagine this newly updated version of Ava Marshall ever being stressed.'

'What is that supposed to mean?' I asked, laughing softly.

'You know on The Vampire Diaries when something really bad happens in their life so they just switch off their humanity and become a complete empty shell of themselves that doesn't give a fuck about anything?' Kam questioned, and I slowly arched my eyebrow at him.

'Yes...' I replied, slowly and curiously.

'It's like you've turned off yours,' Kam told me.

'What?' I laughed. 'So I'm an empty shell of myself?'

'Kind of,' Kam murmured. 'And you certainly don't give a fuck about anything.'

'The second part is kind of true,' I chuckled. 'I give a fuck about some things though! And I am not an empty shell! I still feel things, I'm just blocking out all of the negativity in my life!'

'A, something shitty happened to you and instead of ugly crying with a bottle of wine and Titanic on the TV, you've went the opposite way and began acting like you're totally fine when you're not,' Kam sighed. 'I'm trying to be a good best friend and support you to be the way you need to be to deal with it...but I also think it's really unhealthy to hold it all in.'

'I am totally fine, Kam,' I told him. 'Stop worrying.'

'Then why haven't we talked about it?' Kam asked. 'What Alex did...'

'Because, I don't want to,' I sighed. 'Because I actually really don't care and I'm over it. We were going out for like five minutes, not fucking married with five kids.'