56.

I snorted and cackled loudly over the hum of voices in the room

I snorted and cackled loudly over the hum of voices in the room. 'Wait, wait, wait...so you're telling me that he actually asked you, then and there, right to your face in a packed restaurant full of people...to get under the table and suck his-?'

'Quiet!' Kam hissed, cutting me off before he laughed along. 'Not so loud!'

'I'm sorry,' I tittered. 'It's just so funny!'

'Well, safe to say he did not get a second date with me,' Kam chuckled.

'Wow, the audacity,' I said, still grinning as I took another drink of my champagne.

'Tell me about it,' Kam murmured.

It was now 9pm and Kam and I were slightly drunk but still very much in full control of ourselves. I was determined to stick to my word and stay out of the way tonight, ensuring I didn't cause Caden anymore distress. I should have still been mad at him for the way he'd spoken to me at my apartment and at the start of the evening, but after he had calmed down and been truthful with me, I understood. I enjoyed winding Caden up and messing with him but I knew tonight was a big deal for him with his father and frankly, I would have hated to see Victor find a reason to get one over on Caden.

'Should we go?' Kam asked, looking at his watch. 'It's nine.'

'Okay, lets have one more drink then leave,' I told him.

'Great, I'll get them,' Kam said, getting to his feet.

I got to my feet too. 'I'll use the bathroom while you hit the bar.'

I'd been holding my bladder all night due to me not wanting to draw attention to my being here, but after a few too many champagnes, I couldn't hold it any longer.

I quickly rushed to the bathrooms and straight into a cubicle where I emptied my bladder with relief and checked my phone as I sat. There was a text from my mother asking what my plans for Christmas Day were, with it only being a few days away, but I reminded myself to call her when I left the venue and let her know I would be there on Christmas Eve.

I flushed and left the cubicle, washing my hands at the sink when the door opened and Alicia stepped in with two other women. Their laughter stopped as they saw me and the two women cleared their throats and headed into toilet cubicles as Alicia stood two sinks down from me to touch up her makeup. The tension filled the air and I literally bit down on my tongue to stop my drunken mouth making some small remark.

I saw her pause out of the corner of my eye and slowly turn to me and when she opened her mouth to speak, I spun around and jumped in before her. 'Don't even think about it.'

'What?' she asked, innocently.

'Whatever you're about to say to me, save it,' I scoffed, turning back to the mirror.

'I was just going to ask if you had heard anything from Alex,' Alicia said, with a soft shrug. 'It was...it was shitty what he did to you.'

I frowned softly and looked at her, not able to tell if she was being genuine or not.