🕊Cry For The Bad Man🕊

Ella, 1972
"I'm sorry Ella. He can be like that sometimes." Allen paused for a second, then remembering a checkers bored stashed underneath the picnic table. "You wanna play?"

"Uh sure Allen. I'm not really any good though." I admitted. "But yeah, wouldn't mind the distraction. But can I ask you something?"

"Yeah." Allen replied simply as he set up the game, looking up at me every once in awhile.

"Why do y'all fight like that?" When I asked this, I didn't look him in the eye. Instead, I hid my tears not only behind my sunglasses but also by looking down at my feet. With a heavy sigh, Allen moved his checker one space.

"I told you. He can be like that when he's drinkin. Oh speak of the devil."

"Shut up Allen. Hey Ella, could we talk?" I nodded and stood up. "Oh wait I'm playing checkers-"

Allen waved me off and I turned back to Ronnie.

----
"Look Gary and I was just having a bit of a dispute. I didn't mean to scare ya Elle..." Ronnie said softly, clearly ashamed of himself. "I can't beileve I-"

"No babe it's okay. I just...nevermind...."

"Are you sure you're okay? There's nothing else going on that you maybe wanna talk about?"

"No I'm fine. I'm good I promise." I created a smile and then kissed his cheek. "Promise."

"But the long sleeves..it's summer. And the sun ain't shining so why do you need these?" I tried my best to protest, but it was no use. Carefully, Ronnie pulled off my sunglasses to reveal my black eye.

"Who did this?" Ronnie asked, clenching his teeth in anger as his hand was softly stroking my cheek.

"My...my stepdad." I trembled as I began to cry. "But he only does it sometimes, I can handle it. I didn't tell you becuase I didn't want you to worry about me..."

"Oh Ella..." Ronnie wiped a tear away from my face and then wrapped his arms around me. "I'm so sorry I had no idea. You know what?" Ronnie said with confidence as he pulled me onto his lap. You're moving in with me!"

"Ronnie..."

"Well think about it. You'll be away from Brad permanently... no rules.."

"We could do whatever we wanted." To be honest I was warming up to the idea. "LIKE BUILD FORTS!"

"Anything you want baby." Ronnie said with a sweet smile. "Anything you want."