Chapter 9: The Royal Sommerhus

🌨Elsa's Pov🌨
Papa gripped mama's hand with a nervous energy that made her smile. He had promised a delightful surprise for us- one that would last a whole month. Maddeningly, he was refused to answer any of our questions about what it was. Mommy knew our summer schedule was usually busy with travel in and out of the harbor of our northern kingdom being  easier in the warm weather. The resulting influx of visiting dignitaries meant summer was our peak season for official meetings and events.To have papa take this time away from the council and from the castle felt like a gift, no matter what the surprise actually was. With Anna and I asleep in the back of the wagon, mama readied herself to show enough enthusiasm for all three of us. But as we rounded the last bend in the dirt-packed road, she gaped in open-mouth surprise, dramatic gestures forgotten in the expression of her genuine shock.

"There it is! Our summer cottage! What do you think? I had it built for us; a special place for us to spend time away from the castle and the bustling town. So we can feel more like a family and less like royalty." I heard papa say

Papa smiled and mama smiled back, laughing as she brought her hands to her face and then to his arm, squeezing him tight.

"Oh, Agnarr, it's beautiful!" Mama exclaimed

She looked at the cabin, painted brown and red and , and the grassy roof that made it look like it was part of the mountain rising up behind it. The way it looked carved out of the earth reminded her of the earthen dwellings of her childhood. She then noticed a sign and laughed again.

"The Royal Sommerhus? You wanted us to feel less royal so you named our cottage The Royal Sommerhus?"

Papa jumped down from the wagon, and offered his hand to mama as she climbed down.

"Well yes, but notice my restraint. Not one letter in gold! And I left some things unfinished so we could do them together. The window boxes could use your attention. I thought you would rather plant those than have someone else do it. I had the servants deliver books and paints and brushes and canvas. Dolls for the girls and lots of room for Elsa to make snow without anyone noticing. And see? There's a gate here to keep Anna from wandering off at night and falling into the fjord. The guardhouse is at edge of the ridge- it will be quite private back here." Papa reassured her

Either at the sound of her name or because the wagon had stopped moving, Anna sat up and rubbed her eyes.

"Mama? Papa? Are we at the surprise yet?"

Papa leaned over the side and lifted her up, cradling her against his chest.

"Yes, dear one, we are here! A special house for us to live in this summer away from the castle."

Anna gasped and squirmed in his arms, desperate to go have a look.

"Elsa, Elsa, wake up, wake up! We have a new play house! Like a dollhouse! But bigger! But smaller than a castle!"

Anna slipped from Papa's arms and mama caught one of her hands. The dispatch of guards had pulled up behind us now and were beginning to unload the wagons and tend to the horses. I rose from my sleeping position and papa scooped me up as well, placing me on the ground with a kiss.

"Papa! It's lovely! Can we go see?" I asked excitedly
"Certainly!"

Papa took my hand and Anna took mama's. The four of us walked to the cottage, the scent of rosemary and heliotrope in the air and beams of sunlight falling on the red door. It already looked like home.

"Anna! Elsa! Time to eat!" Mama called up the stairs and braced herself for the leaping hug she knew would be coming from Anna, who had decided that instead of navigating steps she could just throw herself off the top of them and be caught by whoever happened to be there. Anna tossed down here dolls and then herself, and mama managed to catch her before her head collided with the trunk in the alcove at the bottom step.