Chapter 29: Snow Hare

🌨Elsa's Pov🌨
      The first hints of dawn spread across the sky as we walked back home. Anna was unusually quiet, and I was lost in thought. How would we explain to our parents what had happened? Even if we might get in trouble, I wanted my mom and dad to know how I had used my magic to help Anna. It was a good sign for the future, I thought. Maybe someday I'd have full control over my power!
      Control over my little sister was another story, I thought. Turning to Anna, I said, "What were you thinking, sneaking out like that? Something terrible could have happened."
"Something terrible did happen," Anna pointed out. "But you saved me, just like I knew you would."
I had to smile. My sister had so much faith in me.
"I woke up in the middle of the night," Anna explained, "and I was thinking about our ghost stories. And then, from the window, I could see a bunny. I knew it was the snow hare! I just had to chase him. What if I never got another chance to catch his good luck?"
"What do you need good luck for?" I asked.
"No, no, it wasn't for me," explained Anna. "The good luck was supposed to be for you."
"For me?" I asked. I looked at Anna in surprise. I didn't understand.
"To help you when you become queen," Anna said. "I thought you could use a little extra luck. Just in case."
My heart warmed. I didn't need good luck when I had a sister like Anna. My sister might be the kindest girl in the whole world, I thought.
"I'm sorry you lost the snow hare," I said, hugging Anna.
"It's okay," replied Anna. "I'll find him again someday, I just know it."
Did my sister even understand the difference between real life and legends? There was no such thing as a snow hare, or at least not one that could change your life forever. But there was no convincing Anna, so I just smiled and said, "I hope you do."
When we reached the Sommerhus, we tugged open the door and listened carefully. We couldn't hear our parents at all. They were still in bed!
"Let's make them breakfast!" Anna said.
But her idea of breakfast was more like dessert. I didn't have the heart to tell her that no one else would want to eat a bowl of strawberries stuck together with syrup and chocolate.
I set the table with mother's special plates and sat down with my parents after they had come downstairs rubbing their eyes.
"What is this?" Asked father. "A party?"
Me and Anna nodded. Before I could explain why we were up so early, Anna beat me to it.
"We went on an adventure!" my little sister exclaimed.
      Father and mother were not happy to hear of our night time outing.
"The forest can be dangerous," father pointed out, as he had many times before. "Anything could have happened, and we would never have known where to look for you."
But father and mother were happy to eat the strawberries—or they acted happy, anyway—and happy to hear that my magic had saved Anna from the hole in the woods.
"The magic did exactly what you asked?" said mama. She put an arm around me and hugged me. "I'm so proud of you!"
Those words were music to my ears, and after hearing them I didn't even mind washing the dishes. For the next few days, our parents said, we would be doing some extra work around the cottage to make up for leaving the house without permission in the middle of the night.
      Soon it was time for me to go back to my lessons. I got a lump in my throat when Anna left to play outside and I was stuck studying an old book about Arendelle's best-known artists and musicians. It took me a while to settle into it, but after I did, I saw what made those people special. They might not have magic, but they were clever and resourceful, bold and courageous.
"You did a brave thing, helping your sister," mother said as I finished the last chapter of my book. Mama leaned over and put a hand on my shoulder, giving it a gentle squeeze. "You are going to make a great leader someday."
I smiled at my mom, her words filling me with warmth. I had always worried my magic would make it harder to be a good queen, but maybe my power didn't make me so different from the rulers of the past after all.
"I think you've read enough for today," said mother "You're free to go and play with Anna."
I put down my book and raced outside to look for Anna, but there was no sign of my sister. Not again!
"Have you seen Anna anywhere?" I asked father.
Father looked up from the book he was reading, and said, "I just saw her, but I think she must have gone inside."
Taking the stairs two at a time, I ran to our room and pushed open the door. When I didn't spot Anna, I knew my sister had to be in the fort.
"Hello, girls," I said to Hildy and Hanna, who were by the window. Then I peeked inside the fort. "Anna?" I said. It was strangely quiet in there.
"Shhh," Anna whispered. "He's sleeping."
I wasn't sure if it was lucky or unlucky, but my sister never gave up on anything. She must have been searching all morning, I realized, but she'd finally found what she wanted.
Curled up on Anna's lap was a large white rabbit. "The rest of our summer will be perfect," she predicted with a grin. "Because I finally caught the snow hare."