Chapter 80: A Ghostly Meal

☃️Olaf's Pov☃️
      I was amazed.
      The passageways had been dark, and there seemed to be no end to them. It was like there was a second castle built inside the walls of the first castle. I had found old storage rooms full of paintings and crates of books and dozens and dozens of chairs and mirrors.
      But no phantoms. Not yet, anyway.
      As I explored, I found several more secret doorways and passages, eventually leading me out of the walls and into a sealed area of the castle. I had heard that some older sections had fallen into disuse and been sealed off, but I never thought I'd be lucky enough to see one!
      It was here that I had discovered an old dining room.
      The dining room seemed really nice. Dusty paintings of kings from a long time ago hung on the walls. Cloths covered all the furniture. The windows had all been bricked over—though a bit of light was filtering through the small cracks between bricks— and only two of the doors led anywhere. One led back the way I had come: a secret passage so filled with boxes that I had barely managed to squeeze through a space at the bottom— and even that had resulted in my body briefly falling into pieces. The other opened into a shadowy hallway that led farther into the sealed-off section of the castle.
It was so very interesting! But still... no phantoms!
"Hello? Any ghosts in here? Phantoms or ghosts?" I called. "It's okay to come out and be friends now!"
Nothing. But I wasn't one to give up. Everyone needed someone, especially lonely ghosts who lived inside castle walls. But it was difficult, I imagined. After living for so long, lonely in the dark, it would be hard to come out and make a new friend.
So in an effort to make the spirits comfortable, I decided to make the place more inviting.
First I pulled the dust sheet off the table. Then I arranged the dishes that were sitting on it as if me and the ghosts were going to have a nice, happy dinner together. I even found a bowl of wax fruit and bottles of juice of some kind to add to the table setting. And with that, I sat down to my pretend meal and began pretend eating.
"Mmm," I said, "this wax fruit is delicious. If only there were some spirits out there that wanted to join me!"
Then I waited. And waited.
"Oh, wow," I said, trying again, "and this juice is so refreshing and good.... But it would be so much better with someone to share it with!"
No answer. I shrugged. According to what Gerda had read to me from Do Not Laugh at Phantoms!, it would take some time to make a ghost feel comfortable enough to show itself. In the meantime, maybe there was more stuff hidden in the hallways that would help.
With that, I hopped off the large wooden chair and wandered away from the dining room. There was so much more to explore!