Chapter 83: Crates

🌨Elsa's Pov🌨
Anna ran through the narrow and gloomy hallways, with me trailing behind. The passageways were haphazardly arranged, some clearly having been leftover space between walls, and others having been purposefully constructed.  They turned and widened and narrowed again unpredictably.
      "Anna, wait!" I shouted. "You don't know where you're going!"
      Anna kept running, jumping over the occasional crate and ducking the random low beam, yelling back as best she could. "I heard someone! That means we're not alone! Which means maybe they know the— OOOF!"
      "Oh, no! Anna! Are you okay?"
      As Anna rounded a corner, she had run face-first into a large pile of crates and crumpled to the ground.
      Anna sat up, looking a bit woozy. "I'm good. I'm okay. Just...whoo...just gonna sit a second...."
      In the dim light, Anna looked up at the crates. They were filled with mildewed old uniforms. Clearly they had been tucked away by the castle staff years earlier and completely forgotten. They were stacked almost to the ceiling of the passageway, and in this small section that meant really, really high.
      "Wow...that's a lot of boxes. Elsa, it's a dead end. Where are we supposed to go now?"
      I paused, peering at the ground next to Anna. "Look...more of those little footprints..."
      Anna leaned over and examined the prints. They were faint, but visible. "What could have made them?"
I looked around. "I don't know... but we should keep moving."
      "Fair enough," Anna agreed. "How will we get past these boxes? It will take hours to move them all!"
      I didn't respond. Instead, I just waved my hand and a staircase of ice appeared, leading up the tower of crates.
      "Or you could just make an ice staircase," Anna said as she stood up. "That would be a good plan B."
      And with that, Anna carefully headed up the slippery stairs, with me right behind her.