Chapter 45: The Visitor

🌻Anna's Pov🌻
      That night, I sat down at the desk in my bedroom. I began to write a letter to Astrid at once, tucking Soren's acorn into the envelope . "Look what Soren was hiding!" I wrote. "I wonder what other treasures he has buried."
      Astrid, like me, loved the idea that Soren was keeping secrets. Her next letter said, "Make sure you look for his treasure map. You never know where it could lead you. Maybe to the end of a rainbow?"
      She had drawn a picture of a rainbow and enclosed a gift of her own for me. "I will save the acorn from Soren's collection, and I am sending a stone from my own collection for you to keep."
      I looked carefully at the stone, as if could tell me more about Astrid. It was small and round, and as smooth as glass. If I looked closely, I could almost see through it. The stone was brilliant, like a jewel. Was it an opal? I wondered. A diamond? In my hand, it felt as cold as ice.
      Ice reminded me of my sister and all the fun we used to have in winter. But I was not sure I wanted to tell Astrid about Elsa. Astrid was good at pretending, but my feelings were real.
      What was Astrid even like? I wondered. I didn't know yet, but we could get to know each other through letters. Maybe someday she could visit!
      I knew that sometimes I asked too many questions, and I did not want Astrid to get tired of writing! Instead of asking Astrid anything, I decided, first I would tell Astrid about myself. If I started this conversation, maybe Astrid would join in.
I picked up another piece of paper and wrote in big letters across the top, "My favorite things." Then I listened some of the things I loved.
"I could eat chocolate for every meal," I wrote. "Yes, even for breakfast. Chocolate is my favorite food."
I loved squirrels, of course. But they were not my very favorite animal. "My favorite animals are reindeer," I wrote to Astrid. "Someday I hope I get the chance to ride one!"
I did not even know where Astrid lived. "I live near the mountains, on the sparkling fjord," I added. "My favorite place is home."
When Astrid's reply came, I opened it so quickly that the envelope fell to the floor. The letter was all I had hoped for and more. "I love chocolate, too!" Astrid wrote. "And if you can believe it, I also live in the mountains. My favorite game is hide-and-seek." Just like me!"
       I could hardly believe my eyes. "What is your favorite season?" I wrote. "Mine is winter. I love snow angels, sleds, and snowballs."
      Once again, we agreed. "I love ice skating under the stars," Astrid wrote. "And warming up by a hot fire."
      "Do you have any brothers or sisters?" I dared to write.
      "I have a little sister," Astrid said "There's no one I'd rather play with."
I stood up, stretched my arms, and walked around my room. I was writing at least one letter a day by now, and maybe it was time to take a break. There was plenty of time to finish my reply before Nikko arrived again.
Astrid had helped the first week of my parents trip go by quickly. While I still missed my mom and dad, it was nice writing with Astrid.
I opened my bedroom door and walked out into the quiet hallway.
As I passed Elsa's room, I put an ear to the door, but I did not hear a sound. With my parents away, I had only seen Elsa open her door when Olina delivered meals, but the rest of the time the door was shut tight. What did she do? I wondered. Usually, mother and father spent some time with Elsa, but since they were gone, she must have been alone all day. At least I had Astrid to write to while they were gone. Did Elsa ever get lonely, too?
As I descended the staircase, I could hear pots and pans in the kitchen, where Olina was making dinner. I could see Kai and Gerda shining the floors in the great hall.
This was the time of day when I would settle in to read stories with my father. I would meet him in the council chambers, where he was happy to step away from his Royal duties. I loved the way he gave different voices to all the characters in a book. My father knew how to make a story come to life! Today though, I slipped into the library to read on my own.
       The library had two tall bookcases stretching from the floor to the ceiling and a great stone fireplace to keep the room cozy. There wasn't a fire this evening, but I didn't mind. I curled up in a chair in the middle of the room, ready to get lost in a book. If I couldn't go on an adventure, I liked to read about adventures.
      But there was a rattling in the chimney, and I couldn't concentrate. Then there was a clunk, like something falling.
      Nothing had sparked a fire, but the sounds sparked my imagination. Could there be a ghost in the library? I wondered. I had never considered that before, but there were plenty of ghosts stories on the shelves
Then I had a burst of understanding. It had to be Astrid, coming for a visit! She had never been to the castle, so she couldn't find the door. Silly Astrid, coming down the chimney.
When I got up to look for myself, I could see that I was right and wrong. It was a visitor at the wrong entrance, yes. But it wasn't Astrid. It was Soren!
      He was covered in soot from the chimney, but he didn't seem hurt, just surprised. His eyes darted to every corner of the library. "Did you climb a tree and follow it to the roof?" I asked. "Did you take your exploring a little bit too far? Or a you a king, looking for a castle?"
      Thinking quickly, I ran to my room and came back with an empty jewelry box. I put the box down on the ground and waited patiently to see what the squirrel would do. Soren, as if he knew my plan, cautiously sniffed around the box before hopping inside. I smiled and carefully picked up the jewelry box to take it and Soren outside. Squirrels didn't belong inside, I knew, and I would have to return him to the garden. But Soren's visit gave me a brilliant idea!