Chapter 84: Old Rooms

🌨Elsa's Pov🌨
"Okay...this is creepy," Anna whispered.
Anna wasn't wrong, I though as I surveyed the old dining room.
We had descended the ice staircase and followed more of the strange footprints along a twisty hallway to find that the only way forward was through a crawlspace. By the time we had emerged on the other side, we were covered in dust. From there, we had found another secret door, which at first we thought was a way out. Instead, the door led to an abandoned section of the castle—closed off for dozens of years by the looks of it— and the old dining room we were in.
      It was small by Arendelle's current standards, and the dusty drapes covering everything gave it a sinister look. Paintings of kings that ruled centuries earlier adorned the walls, and only the slightest cracks in the bricked-over windows allowed any light in. Anna dug through some dirty-looking boxes and found a lantern that still had some oil in it, but the flickering light of the lantern only made the room look spookier. Especially since it allowed us to better see the fully set table, complete with wax food and glasses filled with a sour-looking liquid—a pickling brine of some kind.
      "Someone was just here," I noted, pointing out the slightest drops of moisture on the table settings and the freshly polished wax fruit. "Someone just set this table up. But who? And why?"
      Anna shook her head. "Maybe the right question is what would do this rather than who. You said you heard that ghosts live in the castle walls..."
      "Those were just stories," I countered. "Old spooky stories that people tell to children!"
      "Yeah," Anna said as she sniffed the sour liquid in the wine glass. "Except that someone or something poured this vinegar in these glasses and put this wax fruit on the table. Something else is here— inside the castle walls but obviously hiding from us. Why?"
      It was my turn to shake my head. "I don't know! But it can't be a phantom! Ghosts aren't real!"
     "I know, I know. It's just..." Anna said, considering the possibilities. "Whatever did move all this around, it had to go somewhere..."
      Anna held the lantern up, lighting the door at the other end of the room. Both of us saw more of the strande footprints leading out the door. Anna pointed. "That's the only other way out."
      "Great!" I said as I moved to the open doorway. "Then let's go prove there are no phantoms and get out of these old rooms!"