Chapter 20: Returing to the Sommerhus

🌨Elsa's Pov🌨
As the royal carriage made its way past rows of tall pines, I felt far from home. All I could hear was the steady clomp, clomp of the white horses' hooves and the call of distant birds. Oh, yes, and the voice of my little sister, Anna.
"Are we there yet?" Anna said every few minutes. "Are we almost there?"
It was summertime and my family was making our annual trip to the Sommerhus, a quaint cottage in a small village just outside the Arendelle forest. Every summer, they left the castle behind and stayed a few weeks alone at the cottage, without the Arendelle forest. Every summer, they left the castle behind and stayed a few weeks alone at the cottage, without castle staff or royal responsibilities.
Back home in Arendelle, I spent every day preparing for the distant future when I would become queen. I spent hours with the castle governess in the schoolroom, reviewing the names of past rulers and going over royal etiquette. At the Sommerhus, though, I did not have to think about my future at all. While we were away, we could be just a normal family and I could just be a normal girl.
My mother, Queen Iduna, looked out the window as the carriage passed another row of trees outside. She breathed in deeply and said, "Don't you love the smell of cedar?"
"I think we're almost there!" Anna cried. She twisted toward the carriage window and pointed at a path paved with pebbles.
"Yes, this is where we turn!"
My father, King Agnarr, extended his arm to make sure Anna didn't tumble out the window. "It's still a little farther," he said. "Just be patient-we'll be there in no time."
Catching my sister's eye, I smiled. Who could be patient when they were getting so close?
Her mind raced, thinking about everything our trip would hold. I loved the feeling of being alone with my family at the edge of the forest. I looked forward to all our summer traditions— playing games and making music and hiking through the hills.
There would be new adventures, too, of course, and I could only wonder what they could be.
The carriage pitched forward as it went over a bump in the road. Suddenly, I knew just where we were." This is it!" I I said, leaning across the carriage to hug my sister as the road wound past a wooden stave church in a tiny village. I knew every inch of the rest of the way.
We went around another bend, moving through the town square and approaching a cobblestone path. At the end of the road, I could see our cheerful cottage, with its sturdy log walls and bright red trim. The window boxes were planted with pink and white flowers, and the grass was freshly cut. The Sommerhus was just as friendly and welcoming as I remembered it.
As soon as the carriage stopped, Anna and I leaped out and ran to the heavy front door. Anna pushed and pushed, but she couldn't get it open until I stepped up beside her to lend an extra hand. "One, two, three!" we counted. And the door to our summer adventures swung wide open.
      I stepped into the cottage and circled around, taking it all  in.
      First I saw the long wooden table where our family would gather for our meals. Behind it was a grandfather clock that had belonged to my own grandfather and the large fireplace that warmed the cottage when the nights grew cool. In every corner, there were stacks of favorite books and games. On the narrow shelf near the ceiling were the beautiful plates my mother had collected on her travels as queen. And hanging on the wall we're the fiddles my father played in the evening. Everything was just as I remembered.
      I grabbed Anna by the hand and pulled her up the stairs, taking them two at a time. "Let's go see our room!" I said
     At the cottage, Anna and I shared a room under the eaves. It was small and dark and some nights they could hear the sound of raindrops pounding against the roof. This was where I had my happiest dreams.
      I walked into the room and stretched out on my bed. On the other side of the room, Anna bounced on her mattress. "Let's go exploring!" she said.
      But I was not ready to explore. I wanted to soak in the feeling of being inside the Sommerhus at last. Fortunately, I knew something that would keep Anna occupied for a little while. "Not yet," I said. "But look at this."
      On my side of the room was a small wooden trunk with pink trim. I hopped off my bed, crouched, and lifted the lid, its hinges squeaking.
      Inside the trunk were the toys we only played with at the Sommerhus. Eight-year-old me had nearly outgrown the building blocks and spinning tops, but there were some toys she would never get too old for. Tucked carefully at the bottom of the trunk, covered with soft blankets, was a pair of well-loved dolls. I lifted one out as if it was an old friend. The doll had blonde braids and bright blue eyes. I hugged it and said, "Good to see you, Hildy!"
      "Hanna! Hanna!" Anna cried, edging her sister out of the way. She pulled the other doll from the trunk and lifted it into the air. "We're back!" This doll had red hair the same shade as Anna's. Anna lifted Hildy from my arms. In no time she was changing both dolls into their summer dresses.
      Returning to my bed and lying back on my pillow, I sighed and smiled.
      I would miss some things about the castle while we were gone, of course, but the Sommerhus felt like home to me. Not only was it the place I got to spend time with my family and take a break from my lessons, but it was where I could be myself- my whole self. At the Sommerhus, I didn't have to hide my magic.
Since I'd been there last, I had learned more about my astonishing power. Whenever I wanted, I could create ice and snow. Well... sort of. Until I knew how to use my power properly, I had to keep it out of sight. At the Sommerhus, no one outside our family would see me— and no one would stop me— so I could test the limits of my magic.