Chapter 48: Special Story

🌻Anna's Pov🌻
I did not like the feeling of losing a friend. But I still had one important friend left, and he was the one who had brought me and Astrid together in the first place!
I thought maybe he could help me make my sister smile.
The next day, I ran out to the gardens, then tiptoed toward Soren's house. If he was home, I did not want to wake him. Gingerly, I lifted the twigs off his roof and peeled in. There he was curled up on his bed of moss.
Lifting out his tiny water bowl, I refilled it from the fountain. Then I reached my finger in to touch him gently. I had never really petted Soren before! His fur was as soft as goose down. His whiskers quivered as he slept. Was he romping with other squirrels in his dreams? I wondered.
I stepped away for a minute to brush pine needles off his front walkway. When I looked back in, Soren was awake! He watched me intently, then leaped out of his bed. He did not use the door that me and Astrid had designed. Instead, Soren crawled out through his window!
Once he was out of his house, I had a hard time keeping up with Soren. He jumped over a patch of mint and ran through a pile of mulch. He scurried up one tree and down another, he rolled through a patch of wet grass and he gobbled up one of Ander's flower bulbs before I could stop him. Soren was full of energy! But that was exactly why I had decided to write some more about him. I would write down every detail.
My first letters to Astrid had been a story, I remembered. It was the story of Soren!
But I had never finished writing that story, because me and Astrid had started writing about other things. We became friends when we started writing about our favorite things. We became friends when we shared our ideas.
      Maybe I needed to let go of all the questions I still had about Astrid. I might never know the answers. All I knew was that Astrid, whoever she was, had been a great friend when I needed one, and now I could be a great friend to someone else.  Even if that person was, well, more than just a friend. She was my sister!
      I was going to finish Soren's story now. I wasn't writing letters this time, though. I was going to write a book!
After following Soren around the garden, I trimmed some pieces of paper until they were as small as cards. I made a hole in each piece, then picked some long grasses from the edge of the garden. Carefully, I wove the grass through the pieces of paper to bing the pages of the book together. After that, I finally started to write.
"Once upon a time, there was a small squirrel in a big garden," I wrote. "He was as soft as a flower petal and as fast as a horse. And every day he had a new adventure."
I wrote about the trees he climbed and the berries he stole and the forest friends who would visit him in his new house. Some of it was true, and some of it was made u, but I knew something important now. Sometimes the memories that were made up felt just as real as the real memories. After all, that was certainly true of Astrid.
When I was finished, I read the whole story out loud to myself, and then I drew the pictures. They were so beautiful that even my friends in the paintings would be proud of them, I thought.
Since it was not a letter, it did not need an envelope or a seal. I wrote my own name in big letters on the book's cover, though, because I wanted anyone who happened to see it to know exactly who the author was.
Now I just needed to deliver it. There was no need to wait for Nikko this time. His deliveries came from far away, outside the castle, but this delivery was only going from downstairs to upstairs. So I waited until it was time for Olina to take up Elsa's dinner tray. "Can I carry it?" I asked before we went up.
Olina though for a second. "I don't see why not," she said. "But you know you must not go into Elsa's room."
"I'll just carry the tray," I sad. "You can be the one to bring it in."
Olina nodded. "Thank you for offering!" she said "I can always use an extra pair of hands."
      Olina spooned some hot stew into a bowl for Elsa and put some fresh rolls on a plate. When everything was ready, she put the tray into my hands. "Careful, now," she warned. "Take it slow."
      I held the tray steady all the way to the top of the stairs. Then, as Olina opened Elsa's door to walk in, I slipped my book under Elsa's napkin. It would be the first thing Elsa saw when she sat down to eat, but Olina would never even know it was there.
      There was only one problem. How would I know if Elsa liked it? I needed to stay upstairs a little longer.
      "Can you take the tray down?" I asked Olina. "I need to get something from my room."
      "Of course," said Olina.
      I went to my room and waited for a moment. Then I walked slowly past Elsa's room. Was that the sound of a page turning? I wondered, putting an ear to the door. Was that the sound of my sister's laugh?
      As I strained to hear it, another sound rang out in the great hall.
      It was the sound of my parents coming through the front door! With eager steps, I raced to welcome them home.
      What I did not see as I hurried down the stairs, though, was another piece of paper, slipped out from under Elsa's door.
      It was a letter, ready for Nikko to deliver another day. And fastened with the royal seal.