Chapter 74: Training a Mighty Shadow Boar

🌨Elsa's Pov🌨
I picked up the next sheet from the huge pile of paperwork on my desk and tried to focus on it.
"Annual report on projected dandelion pollination...reservation committee...subparagraph three...all rights withstanding..."
With a thunk, me, the newish queen of Arendelle let my head fall onto my desk. I let out a sleepy yawn, even though it was barely midday. Normally I wouldn't be this tired, paperwork or no paperwork. But I had been up late the night before, working out the details of the surprise banquet for my younger sister, Anna.
I had been planning it with my court counselors for weeks, and now it was just one day away. It was a complicated event, and everything had to go just right...which especially meant that Anna couldn't know about it. If she found out...
We'll, then it wouldn't be much of a surprise, would it?
I returned my attention to the paper in my hand. But before I could begin to read it, a loud squeal distracted me. It sounded almost like a...
"Pig!" Anna's voice rose over the squealing. "No, seriously! Pig!"
I looked up and immediately saw why Anna was yelling pig. It was because there was a little pink pig running into the room and clambering up onto the desk.
"What the...? Why...?" was all I could stammer before the pig crashed across my desk, scattering everything I had been working on.
Anna leapt across the room, attempting to tackle the frantic animal. "I told you, pig!" she yelled as the wriggling creature evaded her grasp. "That was because... you know... pig!"
I waved a hand. The temperature instantly dropped. A sparkling shimmer appeared around the suddenly confused animal and formed into an icy fence.
Anna looked impressed by my quick reflexes. "Aw, who's a cute little guy?" she said, reaching into the pigpen and scratching the pig's fuzzy head
The pig cocked his head and let out a tiny squeal of happiness.
"Cute little guy?" I looked around the wreckage of my office. "That pig just destroyed..." I stopped and shook my head, realizing I wasn't asking the most important question. "Wait... why is there a pig in the castle?"
Anna lit up at the question. "Okay... call me crazy, but I had this idea! There's a story in the library... the one about the boar that can transform into shadows? What if we made this cute little guy into that boar?"
I held up my hands to slow Anna down. "I remember the story, but this...this..." I looked at the round pink pig. It looked back at me. "This isn't a boar. It's a pig."
Anna scratched the happy pig's nose. It oinked at her in a friendly way. "But we could teach him how to be a mighty shadow boar!" She grabbed the pig gently by its cheeks and made happy faces at it through the icy pen. "Yes, we could, Spy Pig! Yes, we could!"
"Anna..."
Anna finally seemed to notice my skeptical look. "Okay..." Anna continued. "You're not loving the Spy Pig plan. I can sense that. Still— "
Before Anna could say any more, the pig flexed its legs and leapt over the top of the pigpen, then ran out the door with a joyful squeal.
"Spy Pig! Come back!" Anna yelled, dashing down the hallway after it.
I hesitated for a moment. I could stay here and review the expected revenue of the outlying farms...or I could run after Anna and help train a pig to be a mythical shadow beast.
Then I realized that this distraction might just be exactly what I needed. If I could keep Anna busy, then the castle staff could make the preparations for Anna's surprise banquet without any possible interruption. It was too good an opportunity to pass up.
And so I didn't.