Chapter 24: The Mistake

🌨Elsa's Pov🌨
The next few mornings at the Sommerhus followed the same routine as the first. After breakfast, I would join mother for lessons while Anna and father would go play outside.
At the end of every lesson, mother would take out one of her special plates and tell me the story that went along with it. The stories almost made me forget about the playtime I was missing with Anna. Almost.
Just as mother finished telling me the legend of a horse made of water, Anna burst into the cottage like a tornado. She told me about every animal and plant she'd seen on her walk, barely pausing to catch a breath as she led me upstairs.
Standing in the doorway of the bedroom, Anna narrowed her eyes and looked critically at the fort. "I think we should make it bigger," she told me.
I found extra chairs and blankets in our parents' room. I dragged the chairs to the fort and red taped the blankets to fit. The new fort was so big that it went beyond our beds and took up almost our entire room!
Anna crouched and went inside. "We need supplies," she said.
"What kind of supplies?" I asked
Anna thought for a moment. "Art supplies. Some toys. And definitely sweets."
In one corner of the fort, we piled paper and quills in case we needed to draw pictures. We created a place for toys and books. Anna flopped on her back and announced, "I think we can stay here all summer!"
Hildy and Hanna, our beloved dolls, had a corner of the fort to themselves. Anna made sure each one had a place to sleep, then I remembered a tea set that was buried in the trunk. "Maybe Hildy and Hanna need a place for tea," I said
Together, we fashioned a table and chairs from a book and two small cushions. But when I uncovered the tea set from the depths of the trunk, I found that the cups and saucers were chipped and coated with dust. Frowning, I told Anna, "Hanna and Hildy deserve better than this. I know something they will like much more."
I hurried downstairs and back to the table, slipping two plates—the crocus and the snow hare—off the top of the stack. My parents had not seen me take them, since they were walking in the garden.
Our family would not need every plate at each meal, I told myself as I returned to Anna. Okay, I was not sure I was allowed to play with them. But these plates were special to our whole family, I reasoned. And if the plates were in the fort, I could tell Anna what I had learned about them. Surely, my mother would be okay with that. On top of the plates, I placed a pair of teacups for the dolls.
Back in the fort, Anna had propped Hildy and Hanna in sitting positions on our beds. I gave each doll a teacup and a plate, then a couple of sweets from the kitchen. I swatted away Anna's hand as it snaked toward the treats. "Those are for Hildy and Hanna!" I said.
Anna made a face, but she dropped her hand. Then she poured pretend tea into each cup. Anna acted like she was taking a sip, then blew cold air over the top. "Oh, that's too hot for you," she told the dolls. "You'll need to wait till it cools."
"Or maybe not," I said. I smiled at my sister as an idea came to me. "After all, I happen to be an expert in ice."
I stretched out her hands. I closed my eyes and concentrated, and when I opened them, there was a misshapen piece of ice resting on each palm. If I squinted hard, they looked like ice cubes that were just the right size for the teacups. I dropped them into the cups as Anna begged, "Again!"
I clamped my eyes shut and thought about ice cubes once more, but something else burst forth in my hands unexpectedly. It was small and lumpy, but I had made a snowball! I held it out for my sister to see.
"Can I touch it?" Anna asked
"Of course!" I replied
Anna grabbed the snowball and tossed it in the air. She rolled it around in her hands as if she was testing it. Then she got a mischievous glint in her eye, and I could tell what she was thinking. I ducked out of the fort just before Anna could throw the snowball in my direction.
"You can't get me!" I called out. But there was nowhere to hide from Anna, because our little bedroom had been overtaken by the fort.
I ducked into the hallway closet but regretted it. Anna would be waiting for me when I came out, I suspected, and I was right. The moment I peered out of the closet, I felt the snowball splat against my cheek.
Fortunately, I knew how to make another one. If my magic behaved as I hoped.
I came out of the closet, acting like our snowball fight was over.
"Let's go back into the fort," I said to my sister. Anna looked at me suspiciously, but I just said, "What?" Anyone could see that my hands were empty.
Anna led the way inside the fort, settling down next to the dolls. I picked up Hildy and gently gave her a sip of pretend tea, which was really a few drops of melted ice. Then, just when Ana was starting to relax into the fort's pillows, I closed my eyes and focused on forming another snowball. It took a little more effort, but when I was done I noticed that the snowball I had made was a little firmer, more ice than snow.
"Oh, no you don't!" Anna yelled when she realized what I was doing. She grabbed the snowball and lobbed it at me. There was a quick scuffle in the enclosed space of the fort, Anna and I were batting the snowball back and forth like a real ball until it fell from the air with a thud.
Right onto the snow hare plate I had smuggled into the tent.
Breaking it into two.