Chapter 87: Memories of Mother

🌨Elsa's Pov🌨
Anna threw up her hands. "Why did we have to find all this today? Here we are, on an adventure through secret passageways following a phantom , and we don't have the time to properly enjoy it at all! I mean, look at this!" She crouched down next to one of the uniforms, feeling the cold cloth.
I sat down beside my sister. "Anna... we have all the time we need. These passageways aren't going anywhere. We can explore them any day..." I frowned as I looked around. "Ideally with lots of lanterns and ropes and guards and maybe a couple of experts in castle architecture. The point is..." I picked up Anna's hand. "The point is we have all the time in the world. You know that."
Anna looked at me. "I know... it's just... I know you've got so much to do. Running a kingdom is busy work. And I want you to be so happy, and I want to do so many things with you..."
"But I am happy. I really am. It's just..." I mused, "I'm new to all of this. And mom and dad... they did everything they could, but it was hard for me to prepare to rule with my powers and having to hide... So I worry that I'm not as good as they were, and I'm really trying hard to catch up... you know?"
"You're doing fine. You really are. But mom and dad had each other. You're just one person. But with me helping you...I...Hey..."
Anna trailed off, distracted by something she saw from the corner of her eye. She picked up one of the fallen dresses. "I remember this dress. It's... it's..."
I reached out, examining the garment. The dress was a soft green with a blue pattern dyed into the fabric. "This belonged to mom. She wore it when we were little. Before I...before you were hurt."
Anna open a crate, holding the lantern close so she could see inside. It was filled with books... familiar books. "All of this...all of this was mom's. It must have all been packed away when..."
      I picked up a book and dusted off the cover. "I remember this one. She used to read it to us when we would go to sleep. See? It even has the corner you used to chew on!"
      "Anna frowned, squinting at the book. "I didn't chew on any book! I..." She stopped and thought for a minute. "I was young. Books seemed delicious then."
      Anna pushed the box away. "I'm sorry, Elsa. I'm your younger sister, and I'm supposed to be there for you like mom and dad would have been if...if they hadn't... Anna tried to steady her voice. "And once they were gone, and...and..."
      I put an arm around my sister comfortingly. "They're not gone. They're right here. They're with us always, in these books and dresses, and in our memories and in our surroundings. And most importantly, they'll always be with us as long as we have each other."
      Anna looked up at me, and there were tears in her eyes, but she was smiling. "Huh. I guess we found our phantoms, right? I'm always here for you, too, Elsa I really am."
      I reached out and with a small smile, wiped away the tear that was trickling down Anna's cheek. "And I will always be here for you. And...and I promise. Were going to get out of here and I'm going to take you somewhere and you'll feel so much better about everything. I promise."
      Anna felt herself smile. "That... that would mean a lot to me. I think that...wait,..." Anna suddenly stood up. "You can't take me anywhere tonight, though! I have to take you somewhere!"
      I shook my head. "Well, first things first... we have to get out of here. Agreed?"
      Anna look like she was about to argue, but instead she nodded. "Agreed. Let's find a way out... and then—"
      Anna was opening her mouth to continue when she was interrupted by a nearby screech. Like nails on a chalkboard. Or a cat left on a frozen lake.
      It was horrible. Truly horrible.
      And it was nearby.