Chapter 15: My 5th Birthday

🌻Anna's Pov🌻
I was excited. Tomorrow was my fifth birthday. That was as many years as I had fingers on one hand! And that made it a very big birthday.
"Oh, I just can't wait!" I told my big sister, Elsa as we got ready for bed. "It feels like it's taking forever for tomorrow to come!"
Just then, mother came to tuck us into bed and say good night.
"You know," mama told me. "the best way to make tomorrow come faster is to go to sleep. Then, when you wake up, it will be your big day."
I smiled as I crawled into bed. "Tell me again what it will be like," I said to mother.
"Well," mother said, "there will be a grand party, with fancy food and beautiful decorations and many important guests. And, of course, a pretty new dress for the birthday girl."
When I woke up the next morning, the first thing I saw was my birthday dress sitting in the corner of my room.
"Ooh," I breathed. "It's so fancy!" And it was. With embroidered trim and lace at the hem, it was the prettiest dress I had ever seen.
It was perfectly new, perfectly tailored, perfectly...perfect!
I ate a quick breakfast, and then Gerda helped me into my party dress.
When I stepped out of my room, I found Elsa waiting for me. It was time to get our hair done for the party.
"I'll race you there!" I cried.
I took off running, but I tripped over my own feet and got dust all over myself.
Elsa laughed at me and brushed my dress clean. "Come on!" We're going to be late!"
Elsa took my hand, and together we skipped down the hall.
"Birthday curls for the birthday girl!" Our hairdresser said when me and Elsa arrived. "And braids for her big sister."
The hairdresser set to work. Soon I had a headful of little curls.
"Now don't move," the hairdresser told me sternly. "These have to set for one hour."
I made a face. How was I going to sit still for a whole hour?
"Want me to read you a story, Anna?" Elsa offered.
"Yes, please!" I said. It was hard, but with Elsa's story to focus on, I managed to sit until my hair was finished.
I looked in the mirror. My hair looked perfect! I spun around in a circle. As I did, a single curl came loose. I looked at myself again. Now I liked my hair even more!
Soon it was time for my royal birthday party. "Wow," I whispered as I peeked into the banquet hall. There were so many people!
I knew that perfect manners were a must at a fancy party. After all, I didn't want to embarrass my parents. So with a little wave at Elsa, I walked into the hall with my head held high. I nodded politely at each guest seated at the table.
And when I sat down, I made sure to sweep my skirt under me so it wouldn't crease.
I behaved perfectly all the way through dinner. I kept my elbows off the table, and I made sure to eat everything on my plate. Having perfect manners wasn't exactly fun, but I knew my parents would be proud of me.
It was all going great. . . until I let out a loud burp!
"Excuse me!" I said, clapping both hands over my mouth. My cheeks turned red in embarrassment. Burping was definitely not good birthday manners.
Father smiled. "Don't worry," he reassured me. "Sometimes a burp is a compliment to the chef!"
And then father burped. "There," he said. "Now the chef knows we both enjoyed the meal." I laughed. Father always knew how to make me feel better.
When the cake came, I tried my hardest to eat neatly, but I still ended up with frosting on my face. I crossed my eyes and tried not to giggle at the big, creamy blob on my nose.
But before I could do anything, mother swiped the frosting off my nose... and right into her own mouth!
"Yum!" she said, winking at me.
I couldn't help smiling.
That night as I got ready for bed, I sighed. I had really been looking forward to my birthday. But I'd been concentrating so hard on acting perfectly that I hadn't had a chance to have any fun!
Suddenly, I heard a voice: "Psst!" It was Elsa!
"Are you ready for your real party?" Elsa asked
"My real party?" I responded. "Isn't that what I just had?"
With a grin, Elsa waved her hand. "Those royal parties are too proper to be any fun. The best way to celebrate is with a sister's only party!"
Elsa grabbed me by the hand and pulled me into the hall. "There are just two rules," she said. "No manners, and no grown ups."
Me and Elsa snuck through the castle as quietly as we could. First we raided the kitchen for leftover birthday cake, which we ate with our hands and no forks or plates!
Then we snuck into the laundry and took out as many pillows and blankets as we could carry. We dragged our supplies back to our room where we built the biggest pillow fort I had ever seen! We even had a pillow fight.
Just when I thought my night couldn't any better, Elsa gave me a special birthday gift. It was a painting Elsa made of the two of us. I loved it.
Much, much later, me and Elsa finally climbed into bed for the night.
"You were right," I said. "Sisters only is way better."
"Did you have a good birthday?" Elsa asked.
"Thanks to you," I told my sister, "it was perfect."