Nine

Monté

"Preciate you for coming...thank you," I say to the guest as they enter inside my graduation party. We was supposed to have it back at my apartment but Dave knew somebody that let us borrow their house while they are out of town.

"Aye shorty, babygirl with the poofy hair need a ride home she already drunk and causing a scene in front of ya peoples." Dave says walking up behind me.

I turn around to walk back inside. "Oh my gosh you must be talking about Cesi, my cousin. They staying at my apartment so I can't actually take her home."

I walk inside and everyone screams "Congratulations!" causing me to smile. I turn to Dave who walks in behind me smiling.

"How did you know about my drunk cousin?" I ask him.

"Don't I know everything?"

"No you do not, please don't start thinking that." I say laughing.

"I got one more surprise tho for you." He says grabbing my hand.

"Here you go with these surprises." I say as we walk to the back room.

I sit on the bed while Dave closes the door. "Okay so what is it?" I ask him. He grabs another pair of keys out his pocket.

"Were you serious when you said you wanted to move to New York?" He asks me standing across from me holding the keys. I nod my head.

"So it's just a start untill you get something your own speed but I talked to my landlord and she owns some condos not to far from my house, trust me I won't be in ya business or nothing and you can pay your own bills just think of this as graduation present #2."

"Come here..." I look at him biting my lip.

He walks towards me laying me down on the bed, kissing my lips softly.

***

After I got off of Dave, I went into the bathroom to freshen up a little bit while Dave put back on his clothes. He walks in the bathroom behind me and kisses my cheek.

"You gotta stop doing watchu doing if you want us to remain friends." He says in my ear.

I smile looking at him through the mirror before walking back to my party.

I walked into the kitchen to grab me something to eat. "Girl where you been we've been looking all over for you." My cousin Maya asks walking in the kitchen.

"Girl I had to take a quick nap, I've been up since 6:30 ya girl is tired." I lie putting mashed potatoes on my plate.

"Now Diamonté Harper since when do you lie to your favorite big cousin." Maya walks closer to me so nobody can hear our conversation.

"I can't say everything right now but I'm moving to New York I think I've found a legit job out there and I'm going to be moving Saturday." I say putting my food in the microwave.

"Soo who is he?"

"What do you mean?" I ask waiting on my food to finish.

"Monté your whole life you've never moved out of Los Angeles, whoever it is must really be making you happy out here in New York. Now you know i'm not gonna dig in ya business but...does Dave East ring a bell?"

"Man Maya how'd you even know?" I ask pulling my food out the microwave. She laughs a little sipping out of the red cup in her hand.