Fourteen

Dave

"Happy Birthday to you...Happy Birthday to you...Happy Birthday Dear Ma...Happy Birthday to you. I love you forever Queen," I say kissing my moms on the cheek.

She smiles wide blowing out her candles on her pancakes I just made for her. Today is my mother's birthday and I had to come over early this morning and cook breakfast for her before she start her day around 9:30am.

"Thank you baby, I love you more." She grabs my face kissing me on the cheek.

I take a seat at the table and began to dig in my food. "How's that new lady in your life, you haven't said to much about her?" My mom ask as we both eat our breakfast.

"She's good, we actually aren't speaking right now I kinda made her upset and still trynna figure out how to fix it."

She shakes her head drinking orange juice. "I don't care what it is, I want to see the young lady today invite her over for my birthday will you?" She begs smiling. My mom always know how to get underneath my skin besides Monté she's my only dream woman.

"Igh ma I'll see what she got planned today." I say finishing my food.

*

"1

"1....2....3..." My cousin says snapping a few pictures of me and my moms. She hands me back my phone before walking back in the house.

"Let me see," My mom says standing behind me peeking over my shoulder. I turn my phone to where she can see the pictures.

"I like those, text those to me. I'm about to go talk to sister Taylor." She says walking back in the house.

I invited Monté, well I texted her. I stopped calling because it pisses me off when she don't answer my calls and I'm the one that's supposed to be pissed off because she didn't even let me explain myself.

I light my joint and stand on the balcony looking out at the city. A few minutes later, I feel a pair of hands rub down my body. I turn around to see my ex, Paris. I haven't see her in so long, and I damn sure ain't invite her but my cousin must've invited her because my mother knows not to.

"Paris hey, what are you doing here?" I ask nonchalantly. She frowns and folds her arms.

"Damn Dave you not happy to see me." She whines.

Paris and I were together when I had to moved to Florida with my cousins sophomore year, I was pursuing my basketball dream at the time. I had a full ride scholarship to the college of my dreams, on the way to the NBA but I didn't have the discipline to be a pro basketball player, eventually I got kicked off the team and not to long after that I went to jail for six months for drug possession charges. When I got out Paris had already blocked me and changed her number, my homies told me she had got lucky and found her a nigga that made it to the NBA. I hoped she's happy with him.