Chapter 7

Sophie POV
"You heard me right. Gym challenge. We're opening slots for trainers in the school to enter. Every month a different gym leader visits our school so the students could try their luck and fight them," Ranger Opal explained.
Sophie was extremely excited. She was absolutely challenging the gym no matter what it took.
She looked at Sumedha and Jarrett. Sumedha had the same reaction as her while Jarrett sat with a cold expression, however he couldn't stop himself from grinning.
Ixuv, the ranger for class 1/5, didn't look as excited.
"Is it a must to for the Rangers to compete in the Gym Challenge?" asked Ixuv.
"As a matter of fact, no. We have arranged many other competitions. Examples are contests and double battling competitions," Opal smiled warmly as she replied.
Ixuv's eyes light up as she nodded.
"Double battle competitions?" questioned Jamie. "This is a new format of competition. It is where two people can partner and enter a competition with their pokemon, and coordinate with each other to defeat the other people in the competition. There isn't really gym leaders in that but there are compulsory sanction leaders they have to defeat, and they also have to defeat the champion to win the whole competition, " explained Opal as she layed the posters on the table.
" Be sure to put these up in your class noticeboard. You may leave now and take the forms with you, " called Opal as Sophie let Rowlet out to help carry the forms.
Rowlet dropped the bag a few times so she swapped bag with him and headed up to class.
She distributed the forms and put the poster up while explaining to each and every student about the different competitions.
They all sounded extremely excited about this new change. And Sophie was too. She was surely going to challenge the next gym, which was Ikky's gym, a grass type gym.
"Drop by the Ranger Dojo if you're gonna sign up for anything," she said. After class she headed down to the Dojo and realised Bhavishya, Julien and Meena were following her.
"You signing up?" she asked.
The three nodded and she held her hand out as the placed the forms in her hand.
"Contest and double battle. Interesting," she murmured as she helped them sign the papers and handed it to Frilly before more kids streamed in.
"Sophie, we'd like to learn how to double battle, since the competition is in 2 days time," Meena asked.
"Of course," she smiled and brought them to the arena.
"Pidgey!"
"Pidove!"
The released their two bird pokemon and she nodded.
"Eevee, Houndour, let's go!" she called as her two pokemon burst out, followed by Rowlet.
"Eh- Rowlet?" she looked at the owl who moved to sit on her head.
The ball of fluff squawkerd when suddenly the Dojo doors opened. "Sophie! Long time no see, I'm a gym leader now," came a voice.
"Natalle!" Sophie sounded excited.
"Double battle aye? I wanna try too. Haven't done that before, since I've only been wrecking gym challengers," Natalle smiled.
"You two know each other?" Meena asked.
"Yeah, she was a good pokemon specialist, probably why she picked being a gym leader over being a Ranger," laughed Sophie.
"Well, my gym is one of the later few, I suspect you wouldn't challenge my gym till quite some time later, but I'm up for a fight. Don't worry ill go easy," smiled Natalle as she grabbed her ace's pokeball.
"Eevee, do you mind letting Houndour fight? You've been pretty tired all day," Sophie squatted down to ask her Eevee.
Eevee nodded with a smile and skipped out of the field.
"Talonflame ! C'mon let's set things on fire!" Natalle called as Talonflame burst out.
The magestic flaming bird was an astounding sight for Meena and Julien, hyping them more the fight.
Bhavishya and her skitty settled down on the benches to watch.
Julien and Meena called for a quick attack and their two bird pokemon zoomed speedily towards  them.
"Flamethrower!" called Natalle as Talonflame fired a giant burst of fire which knocked Pidgey and Pidove back.
Pidgey crashed to the ground and was struggling to get up when Sophie called, "Thunder fang!"
Houndour lunged and grabbed the Pidgey within its electrical jaws before the Pidgey could fly high enough.
"Pidove gust!" called Julien as Pidove began to stir the wind and Houndour growled as it let go of Pidgey who managed to fly back up.
However, Talonflame tanked the gust excellently. In fact, the Talonflame began to ride the wind and maneuvered away from Pidgey's sand attacks which was trying to lower its accuracy.
"Grab Houndour now!" called Natalle as soon as the wind stopped and Talonflame dived speedily down and grabbed Houndour and flung it through the air, where it managed to hook Pidove into's jaws.
"Thunder fang again!" called Sophie as Houndour released an electrical blast which even landed a paralysis.
Houndour was shaken off barely by the Pidove as it landed on its paws.
"Now! Finish the Pidove off and use flame charge!" called Natalle as the Talonflame lunged as flames swirled around it's feathers and it slammed against the small pigeon pokemon, which let out a cry as it dropped from the sky.
Pidgey looked panicked. It couldn't protect Pidove in time.
" Houndour ember! "
"Flamethrower!"
Houndour and Talonflame both released large amounts of fire which took the Pidgey right out from the sky.
"Not bad, not bad at all," Natalle praised as she held her arm out and Talonflame landed on it magestically.
They were about to talk when suddenly they heard a cry.
"SOMEONE'S HERE! THEY'RE INJURED!"