Chapter 18

Andrew POV

"Andrew! Hello again," Ixuv greeted him with fond eyes. Andrew was the the new ranger rookie, also known as a trainee, which meant he wasn't a official Ranger but because of how frequent he had been working with the Rangers, he was elected a Ranger Rookie.

And he remembered how pissed off Sophie had gotten.

"ANOTHER 1-3 RANGER?! YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME RIGHT NOW. EVERY CLASS HAS EITHER TWO SENIOR RANGERS OR TWO RANGERS OF THE SAME LEVEL AND I'M DEALING WITH 1-4 ON MY OWN?!?!" she has screeched as she hurled a sandbag and knocked Jamie out by accident.

He walked in to see Jarrett and Kelvin discussing about something private, while Sophie was lying on the ground doing who-knows-what. Sumedha was eating with Jamie who had bandage wrapped around his head.

"Andrew! You're here," Sophie signalled to him. He was supposed to train with her that day.

"What's the lesson schedule today?" he asked.

"Trainer and pokemon coordination. In fact, I brought someone to help you with it, she does double battle and coordination is obviously a strong point for her," Sophie grinned and Andrew turned before he spun back around and instantly cussed at Sophie.

"YOU AGAIN!"

Sophie blinked in confusion. "You and Meena know each other?" Andrew balled his hands into fists and took a deep breath to ensure he didn't actually commit murder or something and stomped his foot furiously.

"Jeez, I'm sorry," Sophie apologised, shrugging and moving to sit on the bench. Andrew felt his pulse speed up as he heard Meena call him.

"Oi Andrew, just because you helped me the last time, doesn't mean I'll go easy on you," she grunted as she picked out Pidgeotto and Ponyta.

He let out a muffled grunt as he picked Growlithe and Aron.

"Lucky me I visited the move tutor today," Andrew murmured. Sophie just laughed and Andrew shot her a death glare, which she rolled her eyes at. "Pidgeotto, wing attack at Growlithe!" called Meena as Pidgeotto burped before lunging with it's glowing wings.

"Aron! Use protect!" called Andrew but before Aron could make it to Growlithe to shield them both Meena called for a flame charge from Ponyta, who formed a cast of fire around itself and smashed against Aron, causing Aron to take harsh super effective damage and Pidgeotto landing the hit on Growlithe.

Andrew frowned. "Wing attack again let's go!" called Meena as Pidgeotto lunged again.

"Aron, headbutt!" he called, his voice tensed and giving away his fear. Aron smacked Pidgeotto away with a harsh slam of it's head and Andrew called for a flame wheel, which Ponyta countered with flame charge again.

"Yeebus, didn't you visit the move tutor?"

Andrew's eyes widened as he heard Sophie and nearly slapped himself on the spot.

"Shock wave!" he ordered as Aron formed electricity around itself and released the electricity in waves and struck the Pidgeotto, causing it to take harsh super effective damage.

Pidgeotto squawked angrily as it was ordered to go for a quick attack, which landed.

Meena seemed to having building frustration and let out a low cough. She didn't want to lose this battle. But he was a Rookie Ranger.

"Flame charge!" she called as Ponyta lunged for the Aron and managed to take the Aron down, but Growlithe used a howl powered bite and took the Ponyta down.

It was just each of their starters now. Growlithe growled, as if it to threaten to throttle the Pidgeotto.

" Quick attack!" Meena yelled in irritation and Pidgeotto lunged, but Growlithe evaded aside and used howl again before using ember, which stuck Pidgeotto, who barely lived.

"Well let's apply your new move, use roost!" called Meena as Pidgeotto landed and healed itself before taking flight again.

"Then let's apply our new movewill-o-wisp and burn the Pidgeotto," he said.

Growlithe released three purple flames which surrounded Pidgeotto and halving it's attack, while burning it.

Pidgeotto lunged for a quick attack and hit but Growlithe twisted around and looked the Pidgeotto into's jaws and finishing the bird pokemon off.

Andrew smiled as Growlithe scampered excitedly towards him with his tongue hanging out and wagging his tail proudly, nuzzling it's muzzle against Andrew's leg.

Sophie just clapped slowly before she looked at her phone. "You two wait here. It seems like a fight broke out between some kids back at 1/4. Uhhh, yeah," Sophie muttered before running out of the Dojo.

Andrew awkwardly looked at Meena, who was healing her pokemon with some potions quietly.

"Uhhh, how are your parents and brother?" he asked.

"Fine," she replied.

More silence followed before Andrew sighed and moved to sit on the bench. The other rangers all seemed to have left, except Ixuv, who was just entering the private ranger room he wasn't allowed in yet.

He took out a comb to comb Growlithe's fur as Meena disappeared behind him.

It wasn't even three seconds when he felt her hook his collar and drag him all the way to the back of the equipment and placed a hand over his mouth, signalling for him to stop making noise.

AT FIRST, Andrew didn' t know what was going on until he heard the tapping sound. It was creepy to hear and he wondered where Ixuv was.

Then he heard the tapping sound again, getting closer to them as Meena's hand slipped off his mouth and he looked at her. He could tell she was scared.

"Hello... Anyone there?" came a rough croak before they heard Ixuv shriek. Horrified, Andrew pushed himself further against the wall beside him.

Then the tapping sound returned. He couldn't hear Ixuv at all. The croaky voice repeated the same words a few times, before there was more tapping. Andrew could feel Meena tense up beside him and before he realised what he was doing he slid his hand into her's and squeezed her hand gently, seemingly calming her down. There was the slow sound of dragging before silence returned.

The tapping disappeared before the door creaked open.

"Andrew? Meenakshi?" it was Jarrett's voice. Andrew never felt so relieved as he let go of Meena's hand and peaked past the rack to see Jarrett looking around.

"Over here!" he called. Jarrett walked over to them and Meena's voice cracked as she quickly told Jarrett about the whole thing and not long later they found Ixuv, was not limp on the ground in the private ranger room.

She was not bleeding and it seemed like she was knocked out by something and Jarrett hauled her up and dragged her out, and moved her to the clinic of the school.

"Andrew, walk Meena back to the dorms will you," Jarrett ordered as he followed Ixuv into the clinic.

Meena looked traumatised as she walking with her burping Pidgeotto on her head.

"You okay?" Andrew began awkwardly. She cast him a death glare. "YOU THINK?!?!" she screamed and punched him and he frowned. "I'M BEING NICE!" he yelled as Pidgeotto jumped onto his head and burped again before hissing.

"You two are adorable together," Sophie chuckled as she opened the dorm door.

"SHUT UP!" both of them yelled, faces burning up already.

Sophie just dragged Meena into the room and Andrew grunted.