Chapter 9

SUMEDHA POV
"No way, you serious?" Sumedha whooped excitedly.
Ever since Frilly had disappeared they had to follow strict precautions of making sure the competition went well. And Neha didnt even know about the disappearance of Frilly.
Sumedha just sat with her Eevee as she patiently watched Neha train with her alolan Vulpix and her newly gotten Silcoon.

"Yeah I'm serious. I got Silcoon from my father and I'm going to evolve it so it can compete in the Contest next week. I have prepared a good enough performance and I cannot wait," she said excitedly. "How lucky," Sumedha replied as her mind flashed back to her own parents, who were trying to make her a Performer, even though she wanted to be a Ranger.

"Okay, so Silcoon has bug bite, string shot, tackle and harden from it's pre-evolution," Neha began when they heard some sound. They looked up and realised it was Sophie and Bhavishya. "Ooh, hi Sumedha, what are you doing here for?" Bhavishya asked.

"I'm here to watch Neha! She's entering the competition. I've seen her Vulpix so I bet they can win," Sumedha replied.

"Well, I can beat her! I'm also entering the competition," Bhavishya said, although her slightly cracked voice gave away the fact that she probably was on the same level as Sumedha. "You could never beat me, I've been practicing for 2 weeks!" Neha retorted, laughing.

Two weeks since Frilly went missing, yeah.

Sophie shrugged. "How about a performance battle? We could see from there," she suggested as she sat on the bench beside Sumedha. 

They instantly agreed, keeping up the friendly rivalry. "Okay, Silcoon this is your time to shine!" called Neha as she pointed towards Bhavishya. The silcoon slowly shuffled onto the battlefield and Bhavishya tossed her pokeball out. "Metapod let's go!" she yelled.

Sumedha and Sophie looked at the two pokemon, paused for a short while before cracking up. Sumedha laughed so hard she elbowed Sophie, who fell of the bench. They both kept laughing and the two performers looked at them with confusion. They laughed so much to the point tears spilled from their eyes. "You kidding m-me??? What are those two even gonna do to each other?!" shrilled Sophie, her voice cracking as she slammed her hands on the ground. "Maybe Harden each other to the death!" Sumedha replied with a harsh chuckle.

The two performers got so annoyed by their hysterical laughter and began the battle. 

"Harden!"

"Harden!"

"Harden!"

"Harden!"

(Harden is a move that increases the defense of a pokemon. Most of the time cocoon pokemon like Metapod and Silcoon only have this move unless they kept moves from their pre-evolved stage)

"Please slap me, I'm sure that Silcoon has electroweb or bug bite on it. Or SOMETHING other than Harden!" Sumedha slapped her thigh as she clambered back onto the bench, trying to catch her breath.

Sophie dragged herself back on when suddenly the arena was filled with blue light. "You have got to be kidding me," Sumedha covered her mouth to stop more laughter from spilling from her mouth as the two cocoon pokemon changed shape and suddenly...

"HOW IS THERE A BUTTERFREE AND A BEAUTIFLY??? NO ONE WON THIS BATTLE OH GOD SLAP ME!" shrieked Sumedha as she cracked up even harder.

"I just realised they had other moves other than harden," Neha said and looked at the rangers. Bhavishya nodded in agreement.

"WAHAHAHAH," Sophie toppled off the bench and rolled on the ground, her laughter uncontrollable at this rate. "Since the pokedex states that we have new moves, let's actually begin. Butterfree! Confusion!" she called as Butterfree dived forward and fired a purple-pink blast of beam and Beautifly elegantly twisted away. "Gust!" called Neha as Beautifly flapped it's wings viciously. 

Butterfree was struck and Neha smirked. "Electroweb!" 

Beautifly fired a electrical web which Butterfree barely flew away from. "Use sleep powder!" called Bhavishya as Butterfree fluttered above Beautifly and sprayed a wave of blue-ish powder, which Beautifly dodged. 

(If you're wondering, Butterfree is Bhavishya's and Beautifly is Neha's.)

"Use gust and blow the powder at Beautifly!" called Bhavishya.

"Okay, that is an interesting way she chose to use Sleep Powder and Gust," Sophie said as she climbed back onto the bench. The powder struck Beautifly, who's wings began to flap strangely and it sank towards the ground. "C'mon Beautifly! Don't succumb to the sleepiness!" Neha chimed worriedly. "Alright, Butterfree, finish this with a bright Confusion!" Bhavishya cheered. 

"Beautifly, stir the wind around you and blow the powder off!"  called Beha, her mouth creased into a grin. Beautifly flapped it's wings with heavy effort as the powder was blown off the the gust countered the confusion. 

"Ya'know, I realised how performance battles are so...different from normal ones. It seems like it bends the rules of a normal battle. Isn't it interesting? Bending the rules to make oneself successful," Sophie commented. Then Sumedha blinked. Sophie's words sank in. 

Bending the rules, aye? I'm entering that double battle competition. I'll prove them.

(Okay so I might have not specified, but the double battle competition can be entered by oneself or with two people)

"Absorb now!" Neha's words made Sumedha snap out of her thoughts and into reality. Beautifly's wings glowed in green as it absorbed some energy off Butterfree. "However, Performers seem to go for the performance aspect instead of the typing aspect normal battle go for. In a normal battle, they would use super effective moves instead," Sumedha murmured.

"GUST!" both performers yelled at the same time. Butterfree and Beautifly both blasted wind at each other, while taking the blow from the opponents wind as they wind somehow flowed past each other.  

"Confusion!"

"Electroweb!"

A huge cloud of smoke as the moves came into contact. 

Silence.

"And the winner is...Nobody...?" Sophie croaked out as she looked at the two pokemon, fainted on the ground. 

"That was a spectacular battle!" Neha grinned as she returned Beautifly to her pokeball. "We should battle more often," Bhavishya suggested as she returned Butterfree to her pokeball. 

Sumedha just smiled. 

"That was a delightful battle to watch."