Chapter 38

Kelvin POV

"Pumpkaboo, c'mere," called Kelvin as the little ghost pumpkin floated over.

"Let's go! Razor leaf!" Kelvin ordered quickly and Pumpkaboo fired a blast of leaves.

Swampert evaded it quickly and Ali ordered for a muddy water. Her giant blue pokemon formed a wave of muddy water and rode it, sending Pumpkaboo flying backwards.

"Razor leaf, again!" called Kelvin and Pumpkaboo fired the sharp leaves again, which struck Swampert in the face, causing the giant pokemon to stagger as it took the super effective damage. "Hmm...I guess you were technically trying to use the four times super effective grass moves. Eh," Ali shrugged.

Kelvin just ordered for another razor leaf, which hit Swampert in the face again. "Oh, you're annoying, little boy. Swampert, earthquake!" Swampert roared as the ground shook violently and hurt the little Pumpkaboo. 

"Pumpkaboo, confuse ray!" however, the attacked missed.

"Swampert, ice punch!"

Swampert's fist froze as it leapt up and punched the Pumpkaboo with a vicious cracking sound as Pumpkaboo crashed into the ground. "Ice move, heh, Sophie told me I had to teach Swampert something to cover for the only weakness of grass," Ali chuckled proudly.

Kelvin took a deep breath to calm himself down and yelled for Pumpkaboo to use confuse ray. Swampert was struck as it began to walk strangely. However, when Ali ordered another ice punch, it twisted around and managed to land the ice punch again.

"Unlike Swampert, your little ball of floating pumpkin doesn't have as much defense and HP," Ali said as she tapped her chin while thinking. 

Kelvin gritted his teeth and ordered another razor leaf quickly. "Swampert, protect!" Ali mused as she laughed. Swampert formed a protective shield and it blocked the leaves from hitting. "Ice punch that little thing again," crowed Ali and Swampert lunged, punching the Pumpkaboo and knocking it out of the sky.

Pumpkaboo fainted and Ali gave her pokemon a belly rub. 

"Don't take whatever I said to you in. I'm usually like this, " Ali recommended as she withdrew her giant Swampert. Kelvin returned Pumpkaboo into the pokeball and let out a sigh. "Stressed?" she asked quietly.

"Very. Rangers had a whole argument, which was really silly. And the students had a whole fuss over who knows what," he grumbled. "Eh, being a Ranger means you have a lot of responsibility to hold onto. Not only do you have to focus on training your pokemon, you have to take care of some dratty kids," Ali murmured. 

"You a Ranger?"

"No, aha, but back when I was younger I had to focus on studying and taking care of my closest friends. We were very close, I was like the mum of the group. Probably not as hard as being a Ranger, but I can sort of understand."

"Why did you come here?"

"Bored. I heard two of my friends already went to visit Sophie, since she can't leave the school due to her Ranger duties. So I thought, hey why not go visit my best friend?"

"Best friend?" Kelvin looked at the taller girl curiously.  

"Since birth, yeah," Ali replied with a smile. Then she spotted Haunter. "OH! You have a Haunter. I didn't see it just now. I love Ghost type pokemon, like your Pumpkaboo, but the Gastly evolutionary line is probably one of my favourites," she exclaimed excitedly.

Kelvin just let out a grunt as he got to his feet. "I can bring you to our campsite. From there, you can head to the school," he finished.

Jarrett POV