nineteen

chapter nineteen ~ the one with MindyHeather's POV

Heather's POV

As much as I didn't want to admit it, I knew that sooner or later I was going to have to deal with Carl and had been putting it off for so long but at some point, I would have to face my fear and get on with it. We needed to talk about what had happened, even if I was heartbroken and never wanted to see him again. I needed to know if he was going to remain in this building or if he was going to move, I was hoping that he would move because then I wouldn't get afraid every time, I left the apartment. Chandler had the idea that if he moved out then I could just move back into the apartment that I used to share but I knew that I couldn't do that, when I moved out from living with my brother it would probably end up being in a different building because I couldn't cope with living in the same surroundings, bringing all those horrible memories back.

All of these theories of what my next plan would be were floating around my head, while I was sat In Monica's apartment with the others. They didn't know just how much I was thinking about this and praying that it would be easier than what I was thinking. From what I knew, Chandler and Joey were fine with me being around as an extra roommate but I wasn't sure how long that would last, eventually one of them would bring a date back to the apartment and it might be difficult for them to explain why I'm around; in particular why I'm sharing a room with my brother. Therefore, I needed to start looking at places nearby that I could rent because I needed to move out, but I also needed to get a job otherwise I wouldn't be able to pay for this apartment.

"Can I use your phone?" Chandler asked, running into the apartment and carrying the phone from his apartment in his free hand.

"Yeah, but for future reference that thing in your hand can also be used as a phone."

"Yes, it's working." He ignored Monica as he held the phone up to his ear. "Why isn't she calling me?"

"Maybe she never got your message?" Joey offered, giving a reasonable explanation.

Phoebe agreed and turned in her seat. "Call her machine and if she has a lot of beeps, that means she didn't get her messages yet."

"You don't think that makes me seem a little..."

"Desperate, needy, pathetic?" Ross said, thinking of some of the words that would best describe the situation that my brother had found himself in after going on a date with some woman.

"Ah, you obviously saw my personal ad."

He decided to take Phoebe's advice and call the number to hear how many beeps were on the answer machine but after a few seconds he just held the phone away from him, leaving us all waiting to find out what happened. "How many beeps?"

"She answered."

"You see, this is where you'd use that 'hello' word we talked about." Monica explained, but at this point Chandler wasn't thinking rationally and no one would be able to get through to him.