eighteen

chapter forty one ~ the one with the elevator shaftHeather's POV

Heather's POV

I'm quite a proud person. I can be very proud of myself, even for the smallest of victories; like getting all of my laundry done on time or going out for an early morning run to keep my fitness levels up. I can also be proud of my brother, for the important role that he has in the office that he works in, or for the way that he's handled living without his best friend. Most of the time, I'm proud of my friends because they're the people that I spend most of my time with and because of the difference in the lives that they lead, I'm proud of them for many different reasons. I can be proud of Monica after she finishes a catering job for a particularly difficult client, I can be proud of Rachel if she spends her earnings on something important rather than on another pair of shoes that she's only going to wear once and I was proud of Ross, after he became a Father, taking everything in his stride.

But now I was proud of Joey, for living his dream and working on a Soap Opera; a job that he was so happy about having and one that he deserved after all of the work that he did. He was enjoying the life that came with being a famous actor, he was enjoying being recognised on the street and for the fan-mail that he received and the perks of actually having money instead of borrowing from other people. His biggest asset was his apartment, even though the taste wasn't the same as everyone else's, we were still proud of him for buying it by himself, decorating it by himself and now living in it by himself. When I first met him, I didn't think that he would ever have been able to do these things; so, I was just glad that he was being more mature and taking control of his life.

"How long until the show starts?" I called from the kitchen, checking the lasagne that I had put inside the oven.

"Five minutes." Nick told me, leaning back on the couch with a magazine in his hand. "I still can't believe that Joey is one of the regulars."

"Neither can I, he's working so hard and he deserves it." I said as I came back into the lounge and took a seat next to him on the couch; we had plenty of time before the food was finished and the show was about to start.

Nick didn't look up at me as he was engrossed in reading one of the articles printed in the magazine. "Hey, I didn't know that Joey did an interview."

"What? Let me see that."

I took the magazine out of his hand and began scanning the article that had been written about Joey and his latest role as Dr Drake Ramoray in the show 'Days of our Lives.' He hadn't told me that he had done an interview with a magazine and I had no idea how many of the answers that he had given were real. Sometimes, if he got a little bit too excited then Joey would make up answers just to make himself look better to the public; and by reading just the first two questions, I knew that most of it wasn't real. I couldn't read anymore and handed the magazine back to Nick so that he could finish reading it; just in time for the show to come on. I tried to distract myself from the interview, by focusing on the intense scene that was taking place on the television but Nick was so engrossed in reading that it was putting me off.