twelve

chapter fifty eight ~ the one with a prosthetic leg Heather's POV

Heather's POV

I take back everything that I said before. Everything that I said about my future looking brighter and my dreams finally coming true because I was wrong. I have never been so wrong in my life and I was sure that because of this mistake, I would be working as a waitress in a stupid diner for the rest of my life. All those things that I imagined when thinking about my dream job had been shattered, and all it had taken was one lousy job interview. I thought that my life was finally turning around and I wouldn't have to worry about paying my bills or saving money to put towards one fancy dinner with my friends when we needed to celebrate something. I honestly thought that with this job interview, I would be able to pay my brother back for all of the takeaways and movies that he had paid for whilst I was living with him. I thought that this was my second chance of living in the city, but once again everything was ruined.

Maybe I will never get the chance to prove everyone wrong and show them that I can be a professional successful businesswoman because for some reason, the world just doesn't want me to succeed. For some reason, every time that I get slightly closer to something going right, it bites me in the ass and I don't even get close to happiness. I had made sure that the morning of my job interview went smoothly, I made myself a big cup of coffee, I printed out my resume and researched everything that I could find about the company that I was interviewing for. I picked out the most professional black suit that I owned and made sure that I looked more presentable than I ever had because I needed to impress them. But none of that actually mattered when I walked into the office, because it seemed like they already had in mind what they wanted me to do.

The job was offered to me, but I turned it down. I turned it down because of the things that I would have had to agree to if I had wanted to work there. The kind man that had offered me the interview, didn't seem like much of a kind man anymore; not after I had spent most of the interview trying to keep his hands away from the end of my skirt. He didn't seem like the best employer when I had to ask him to remove his hand from my thigh and ask him to stop calling me unprofessional names. The interview was supposed to be my chance to prove to everyone that I was serious about this career and that I was going to be good at this job; but instead my employer was only interested in hiring me, if I agreed to have sex with him. I was disgusted, as soon as he said it plain and simple, I wanted to run out of the office and never look back. Every part of my body which he had touched, felt on fire and just picturing his face made me feel physically sick. He hadn't seen anything wrong with it but for me, he had now ruined my life. I would never be able to think about my dream job in the same way again, now, whenever I thought about it, I would remember him.

I was embarrassed, more embarrassed than I had ever been in my life. And I didn't know how I would recover from something like this. I didn't have to tell anyone about what he had done and what he had said to me; I didn't want to tell anyone but I also didn't know how I would react when my friends asked me about the interview. I had been so excited about it and they had all wished me luck, hoping that I would get the job because I hadn't had the best time in this city and this was my chance to turn it all around. How could I tell my brother that I declined my dream job and not give him details as to why I had declined it? He wouldn't understand and he would keep pushing me until I told him the truth. But I didn't want him to know the truth because it was humiliating. That man shouldn't be in the position that he's in and he shouldn't be allowed to take advantage of people like that; it made me wonder how many women had accepted his offer simply because they had no other choice. At least I had the diner as a backup job, but for people who had nowhere else to turn, they would have been desperate for anything. It made me sick.