nine

chapter seventy six ~ the one with the double dateHeather's POV

Heather's POV

Now that Joey and I were taking things slow, we had to make sure that we weren't suspicious about anything and that meant that we acted completely normal around our friends because we didn't want them to know that anything was going on between us. This was something that we mutually decided, if they didn't know that we were together and something went wrong then we wouldn't have a repeat of what had happened with Ross and Rachel. Even though a part of me hoped that that would never happen and we would somehow end up together, the other part of me was more realistic and realised that Joey wasn't the kind of guy who would stay with one woman for the rest of his life. The thought of being with someone for that length of time was something that probably made Joey feel physically sick but we were trying this secret relationship because it was what felt right now. If, in a few months our feelings changed and we didn't want to continue our relationship then there would be no hard feelings and we could go back to being friends.

I tried to sound happy with that deal but the truth was that that was my worst nightmare. I knew that over the next few weeks or months, my feelings were only going to get stronger for Joey and if he ended up breaking my heart then I wouldn't be able to just brush it under a rug because it would mean so much more than what I pretended it did. Acting normal around our friends was harder than I thought, especially when Joey was there and I just wanted to tell the whole world that we were secretly seeing each other. However, we made the decision to not tell everyone about us and take our time to see where this relationship went. And to not make things obvious we tried to act like ourselves, which meant sitting in the Coffee House with the others. Joey and I were on the stools, having a comfortable conversation with Chandler, Rachel and Phoebe, who were all sat on the large couch.

Chandler was reading a newspaper which had been left on the coffee table. "Hey, look at this, they're lighting the big Christmas tree tonight."

"Uh, that paper's two weeks old." Phoebe replied, which made everyone laugh slightly because that meant that he had missed the lighting of the Christmas tree.

"Alright, who keeps leaving old newspapers in the trash?" He complained, dropping the newspaper onto the coffee table with a frown on his face. "I really wanted to take Kathy to this."

"Oh, it was really good." I answered without thinking and the rest of my friends all turned to face me, with suspicious looks on their faces.

"You went? Who did you go with?"

My brother didn't seem too happy about my announcement and I knew that I needed to sound convincing otherwise he wouldn't believe me; so, I tried to sound unbothered as I lied. "Just some guy, you don't know him."

"Just some guy?" Joey repeated, looking upset that that was what I had called him but he wasn't being very secretive with his facial expressions and the way that he reacted.