twenty one

chapter sixty seven ~ the one with strip pokerHeather's POV

Heather's POV

Never in my life had I ever been to a Beach House, so when Phoebe brought up the idea, I was the first person to agree that it was the best decision to be made. Everyone needed some time away from work and away from the city, to just relax and enjoy ourselves; the Beach House was the best option. Phoebe had managed to get keys to a place from someone that she massages and she was desperate to travel here because she had found a woman that used to be best friends with her parents; and she was hoping that this woman may know something about where to find her Father as he had basically gone rogue over the last few years. The rest of us had agreed to offer emotional support to our friend but we were also just excited about being able to go to the beach and spend time together without worrying about our jobs or relationships or anything else that had been giving us headaches for the past few months.

Due to Melissa loving the play and having a minor crush on Joey, she allowed me to take some time off work and didn't seem as though she hated me as much. She still made me photocopy her assignments and fetch her coffees but they weren't every hour anymore and she didn't send me around the whole office for staples which she eventually found in the bottom drawer. Maybe we were making progress. I didn't want to jinx anything, so I was just happy that she didn't seem to hate my guts like she had on my first day. Maybe taking her to see that play was the best decision that I had ever made because thanks to Joey and his acting skills, she didn't want to pull my hair out or stamp on my feet. All that mattered was that my job was safe for a bit longer and I was very thankful for that.

The Beach House had some flood damage, which meant that all of the room's downstairs were covered in a layer of sand, but in my opinion that just made it more exciting. When it was pouring down with rain, like it was right now, we didn't have to travel in the rain to the beach. Instead we could stay in the kitchen and make sandcastles where it was dry and warm. However, being stuck in the Beach House was getting more boring as the day went on as everyone had been expecting us to spend time on the beach and not need to bring anything to entertain ourselves and now, we were stuck in the house with nothing to do. Ross was relaxing on one of the deck chairs in the lounge, Chandler and Joey were building sandcastles on the floor and Rachel, Monica and I were painting our nails at the table. Something that wouldn't take all afternoon but we were running out of ideas and Phoebe, who always came up with good ideas, was out.

"Hey, you know what a really fun rainy-day game is?" Joey offered from his seat on the sand.

Monica looked up from painting my nails. "What?"

"I mean, naked game?" He corrected himself. "We should totally play Strip-Poker."

Rachel laughed, looking away from where she was painting Monica's toenails. "No way."

"Are you crazy?"

"Come on, when you go away, you have to play." Joey argued but I just shrugged him off because I wasn't interested in playing Strip-Poker. "It's like, a law."