ten

chapter thirty three ~ the one with the bad reviewHeather's POV

Heather's POV

Unusually, my Christmas was spent in a completely different way to what I had thought it would and it was all because of the strange moment that I had with my neighbour. The night of the party was instead spent with Nick, a doctor who actually was really funny once you got past the sarcastic humour that he had and ignored the fact that he had been horrible to me ever since I moved here but was now being nice. We spent the entire evening together and I didn't even want it to end, it did, of course, because it got late and I remembered that I was supposed to be giving presents to my friends instead of chatting to a very handsome smart man. Then, just when I thought it couldn't get any weirder, he asked me for my phone number and even though we only live across the hall from each other, I gave it to him because it felt like the right thing to do.

He spent the evening telling me all about his family and his career, becoming a doctor just like his parents and making them proud. We both had things in common, having family that live far away and both of us having a brother that we had drifted away from. That was the only advice that I gave him that night, to call his brother and try to make time for him because now that Chandler and I were building our relationship things had never been better. To make things even better, Nick apologised for judging me when I first moved into the building and admitted that now that he had gotten to know me better, he knew that what he had done was wrong. He even said that he would tell our neighbours the truth because it wasn't fair on me, to continue getting weird glances when what they had heard were just rumours that he had started.

Something that hadn't been working very well was Joey's acting career, sure, it had never really taken off because he hadn't scored any big movie roles yet but we were all routing for him. Now, though, it seemed like he was rethinking everything because of one bad review that someone had done and was published in the newspaper. None of us had seen this play in particular but we had seen how hard he worked for it and how long it took for him to be confident when performing it; it wasn't fair that he worked so hard and was still not getting anywhere with his work. I felt awful about the whole thing, but there was nothing that we could do because none of us were big movie stars or knew any big movie stars that could help him with his goals.

When I entered the apartment, I could tell that the mood was still really sad and depressing because Joey was sat at the table and hadn't even touched the plate of food that Monica had made for him. That was one way of seeing just how hard Joey was taking something, he wasn't himself if he wasn't eating and this meant that the review had really ruined his mood. I hung my jacket on the hook behind the door and moved over to him, the others turning away because they knew that I wanted to talk to him more privately about what was going on. Hopefully the little bond that we had created over the past few months would actually come in handy and would help get him out of this funk that he was feeling. Chandler and Phoebe started talking about something else at the table as Rachel and Monica stood next to the couch.