seven

chapter ninety five ~ the one with the truthHeather's POV

Heather's POV

It was nice that our relationship was progressing, that we were spending more time together and that this time was more precious than it had been before. I was comfortable with Joey and a part of me hoped that this feeling would never change, that we could just live like we were for the rest of our lives but then I remembered how childish we were being by not telling our friends that we were together. Sure, Monica and Chandler knew, but that was only because we had found out about their secret relationship and swore that we would keep each other's secrets but things were getting out of hand. Joey was having to cover for them more than usual, because unlike us, they weren't very good at this whole secret relationship thing. We had been doing this for a year, and two of our friends had only found out because we told them. No one had been suspicious of us and we hadn't slipped up at any point; but Monica and Chandler kept slipping up and dropping Joey in the mess.

Our friends found a pair of underpants on the couch in Monica and Rachel's apartment, blaming them on Joey, who had to lie and tell them that he had left them there for no reason other than that he was Joey and he was disgusting. There were issues with dates that people had walked in on and a video camera that was set up as if making some kind of sex tape; and my boyfriend had covered for all of it. But there was only so much he could lie about and he was reaching the end of his tether. I knew that eventually we would have to come clean about our relationship and then it would be up to Monica and Chandler to take control of their secrecy which was rubbish. Sooner or later everyone would find out, I just didn't realise how soon it would be as I sat at the table in Monica and Rachel's apartment. I was enjoying the meal that Monica had cooked for us, joking with Phoebe and Ross as we tucked into the food and trying not to watch my brother with Monica, who were being obvious even when everyone else was in the room. But dinner was cut short when we heard Rachel screaming from the guys' apartment and ran over to see what had happened.

I stayed behind Ross, who had kindly pushed the rest of us behind him, as if he would be able to save us from a potential threat but we were all confused to see Rachel screaming at Joey. He was stood in the middle of the apartment with a bucket of chicken in one hand and a polaroid in the other hand and he looked both worried and confused about what had just happened. I glanced back at Chandler and Monica, who seemed to understand that whatever had just been revealed would be something to do with their secret relationship; only this time it felt different and it felt as though there were no more excuses about this. The truth was coming out tonight because they had no choice. "Get away from me you sick, sick, sicko!" Rachel screamed, not realising that we had all entered the apartment and were waiting to find out what had happened.

Ross spoke first. "What's going on?"

"Joey has got a secret peephole."

"Oh, no, no, no." Chandler muttered when he saw what Joey was holding and Rachel was quick to snatch the polaroid out of his hand.